April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marks_21, Argo44, Vall, Lawrence Kotchek, fab500), 1,016 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is, of course, always harder to make a diagnosis from pictures than hands-on. There does appear to be funneling at each end of the burst & a bulging of the bottom rib, though doesn't appear to be in the top rib.
As to "Pistol" powders, shotgun powders & pistol powder have a lot of overlap. There are shotshell loads using Bullseye & pistol loads using Blue Dot & virtually all powders with burning rates in between.

I assume the mentioned substitution of pistol powder was meant as an overload of fast pistol powder in place of a heavier load of slower burn powder. An overload of fast powder should result in a chamber burst, not down ahead of the forend. Some other factor may well have been involved in that case which was overlooked once the powder mistake was discovered, hard to say without more info.

This barrel in the pictures does not look to be overly thin. It may well, however, have been struck thinner on the outer portion that the inner, which could account for the top rib not being bulged. I do not see it as being the result of "Tired Steel".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will vote for an obstruction. Even I can be an expert on the internet. wink

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd say there was a blooper and the wad didn't exit. Next shoot boom. I'd guess in a fast shoot (like a flurry) the shooter might not have noticed the blooper.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is some suggestion of a "banana peel" burst

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chamber burst = too much pressure. Barrel burst = obstruction. The pressure could have been very high and the barrel could have been thin in that area also contributing to the burst, but I still go mainly with an obstruction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tut
I'd say there was a blooper and the wad didn't exit. Next shoot boom. I'd guess in a fast shoot (like a flurry) the shooter might not have noticed the blooper.

I can agree with tut on this one. Only other possibility is a base wad but less likely that far up barrel.

The long-shot answer is a live round that made it that far up barrel and discharged when struck by the next fired round. The ragged break lines fore and aft of the rupture seem to indcate possibility of a very high pressure at this point. More so than an obstruction might cause. ???

John

Last edited by John E; 06/10/19 01:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember reading about a reload with wrong/damp powder where the ignition was delayed, and the primer pushed everything down the barrel just a bit, wherein ignition occurred a fraction of a second later, and split the essentially plugged barrel.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a guess but by the looks of the rip it looks like there was a smaller shell in the chamber and then a loaded 12 ga. hull or a stuck wad from the previous shot.
Where that rupture occurred pressure should have been down past half of chamber pressure if not more.

Last edited by David Williamson; 06/10/19 01:54 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

David,

I think you are right about the smaller shell in the barrel. The ripping of the forward part of the rupture suggests more than just a blockage. I can imagine that the smaller shell detonated and caused additional damage.

It is great fun trying to over interpret visual data.

When do we get to find out what the real answer is?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This evening, so get your answers in.

Last edited by 12brd; 06/10/19 04:09 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.