March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, canvasback, Mills, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, John E), 314 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mystery Magnum Mauser ID'd - belonged to Hoffman Arms Founder, Harry Snyder.

This one was a real puzzle? I thank all that helped.

I will answer any additional questions you might have.

This has a real strange feature. The action is an unmodified standard length Mauser action with 7-7/8" spacing between the trigger guard screws and it has a 1.410" diameter front receiver ring. However, the bolt is a "magnum length" bolt that is 3/8" longer than standard. So is this a standard, or a Magnum action?

overall rifle specifications are as follows:

double-set triggers - greener safety - standard flag safety - weight is 9 pounds 4 ounces ... 14-5/8" LOP ...
26-3/4" octagon-to-round barrel ... barrel mounted sling swivel ... interchangeable front site blade ... pop-up cheek-piece
red silvers recoil pad - buffalo horn forend tip - 32 lines / inch checkering ... 2-panel grip checkering ...... single panel "wrap-under" forearm checkering.

Here are some pictures. .. they are in order of the descriptions that I've written below.

..... overall pictures ... right and left ...

..... some details showing the trap grip cap ... engraving

..... the "Harry Snider" Gold signature on the floor-plate.

other pictures ....

left barrel flat is stamped "POLDI-ANTICORRO" .... and .... BEMESU (Bernard Merkel trademark) .... and .... "7 x 64" .... and "GERMANY"

left top angle flat is stamped ".30 H" ... (chamber cast shows 300 H&H caliber) and ... BBUNDEE ... and ... various Belgium Proofs.

left side of action forward ring has Belgium Proofs.

raised 1/4 rib has a large "2" engraved just forward of the receiver ... 1/4 raised rib has no rear sight. ...

there is a low full rib along the complete length of barrel transitioning into a front ramp. rib is matted full length.

rifle action has only the bases for a claw mount. there is one tapped hole added to the center of each claw base.

bolt handle is round bottom, oval shape with flat top that is engraved with a cross-hatched teardrop - bolt handle has Belgium Proofs.

barrel has serial number "17602" ... bottom of barrel has 2 letter stamps .... a "Z" and a "K" and a "1" - ahead of the action.

solid left wall action with no markings on the action except for a "tiny" inspection stamp on the bottom which I can't make out. (maybe "W" ?)

there are some small holes drilled into both sides of the front sight ramp.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

continued from above ..............

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting that it wears the Kelber >>pound<< sign and another >>JJ<< mark that hasn't been fully defined but may be that of the Jaeger klan.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you saying "The action is an unmodified standard length Mauser action with 7-7/8" spacing between the trigger guard screws"? The magnum action also has the same spacing, but an OAL action length of 9.15", I believe. Also, it has a bolt of the same length as yours.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, from another forum I found out the action IS a true Oberndorf Mauser Magnum Action. I learned something today. I have several Brevex Magnum Mauser rifles, and those actions have a longer hole spacing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this the Harry Snyder that founded In-N-Out-Burger?

Boxlock
Boxlock

( Ball ) Blindee = French for jacketed bullet.
I have seen 2 .280 Halger rifles . They had the identical pistolgrip cap and magnum actions , Greener safety. One the same springtype cheekpiece.
The .280 Halger in Germany also designated 7x66.
The barell marking here shows different typos the 7x and the 64 make no real sense.
May have been 7x66 before rebored /rechamberd to .300 H&H in Belgium.
The .280 Halger case is nearly identical to the .280 Ross/Eley.
It deserved a magazinebox length of 96mm.
Halger rifles were made- among others -from Otto Geiger.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Carpetsahib
Is this the Harry Snyder that founded In-N-Out-Burger?

Hello Carpetsahib
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if its the same guy. This Harry Snyder was one of the founders of Hoffman Arms.

Originally Posted By: halger
( Ball ) Blindee = French for jacketed bullet.
I have seen 2 .280 Halger rifles . They had the identical pistolgrip cap and magnum actions , Greener safety. One the same springtype cheekpiece.
The .280 Halger in Germany also designated 7x66.
The barell marking here shows different typos the 7x and the 64 make no real sense.
May have been 7x66 before rebored /rechamberd to .300 H&H in Belgium.
The .280 Halger case is nearly identical to the .280 Ross/Eley.
It deserved a magazinebox length of 96mm.
Halger rifles were made- among others -from Otto Geiger.

Hello halger,
Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to see some pictures of a Halger rifle.

The 7x64 is not a typo ... that was the original caliber that this gun was intended to be, a 7x64 Breneke.

According to another source in Germany;

".... As the Belgian proofmarks show, the conversion to .300 H&H was done by or for Mahillon. The .30H caliber designation is part of the Belgian, Liege, proofmarks: B(alle) BLINDEE = jacketed bullet, PV = smokeless powder, crown/R = rifled barrel, star or crown/E(?) = inspector's mark, ELG = Liege proofhouse acceptance. I think the stock was made by Hoffmann Arms, reusing the German hardware, as the stock shape is neither German nor Belgian.
Poldi Anticorro was a high grade (read: expensive) rust resistant barrel steel by the Poldi steelworks in Kladno, Bohemia. .... IMHO the rifle was originally made by Berhard Merkel as a 7x64 during the interwar years, soon converted by Mahillon and restocked by Hoffmann Arms in the 1930s. As such German barrels usually had an integral full length rib with a rear sight, the rib was likely milled down to the quarter rib shape by Hoffmann (Mr.Howe?), removing the rear sight dovetail. ..."

Boxlock
Boxlock

More pictures of a .280 Halger:
https://www.feine-jagdwaffen.de/Waffengalerie/Archiv/Repetierer

A 7x64 Brenneke in a Magnum Action makes no sense.
The 7x64 needed only a slightly longer Magazine box ( 88mm) in a standard action length.

I used the wrong word typo , what I wanted to say is:The different kind of lettering 7X and the small 64 .
Canīt believe that it was the original designation.
They certainly had the correct lettering stamps , when they marked the barell first.
The barell is modified from the Original configuration in more than bore and chamber.
The rear part of the(milled down)rib is so poorly matted , that I canīt imagine as the work of so qualified smiths like Hoffmann/Howe or Mahillon .
Could you measure the Magazine box internally (length,rear and front width) to narrow down its original intention to be used for.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: halger
" ... A 7x64 Brenneke in a Magnum Action makes no sense. The 7x64 needed only a slightly longer Magazine box (88mm) in a standard action length. ... "

" ... I used the wrong word typo, what I wanted to say is: The different kind of lettering 7X and the small 64. Canīt believe that it was the original designation. ... They certainly had the correct lettering stamps, when they marked the barell first. ... "

" ... The barell is modified from the Original configuration in more than bore and chamber. ... The rear part of the (milled down)rib is so poorly matted, that I canīt imagine as the work of so qualified smiths like Hoffmann/Howe or Mahillon. ... "

" ... Could you measure the Magazine box internally (length, rear and front width) to narrow down its original intention to be used for. ... "

Hello halger,

Thanks for the reply,

As Quoted to me by my source in Germany;

" ... Some early 7x64 rifles were indeed built on Magnum actions to take Wilhelm Breneke's special load with a 173 gr "Torpedo Ideal" bullet seated out. ... "

As for the "7x 64" caliber marking, its hard to say what was in the mind of the barrel maker 90+ years ago.

As per my quote in the previous post;

" ... German barrels usually had an integral full length rib with a rear sight, the rib was likely milled down to the quarter rib shape ... "

As far as the rib matting goes, my picture taking skills are lacking. The camera's flash is the problem. The matting is in fact very well executed with a "super-fine" matting to reduce glare and it appears to be done by hand.

The mag box length is the standard Oberndorf Magnum Mauser measuring 3.780" long inside. The inside width at the rear is .970" and the inside width at the front is .720". All surfaces are original and unaltered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.