April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Karl Graebner, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hammergun, gasgunner, Marks_21), 234 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,460
Posts544,999
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Big Horn valley is unlikely to have bears or lions. If you don't plan to get drunk at night and go on a ramapage, you won't need to be armed. Ask your guide.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

What, Are you worried about being scalped?
It's a fishing trip for chrissakes.

Be more concerned about sun screen, and not leaving the Bolle's at the restaurant.

If you haven't figured out by now that it's a poor tourist town, populated by lifestyle choosers, you are missing what's what.

Leave the fire power home, and save yourself the grief.

Go and have Fun.

No one is after you.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
The Big Horn valley is unlikely to have bears or lions.

I agree

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper

Go and have Fun.

No one is after you.

But if by chance anyone asks you to call a coin flip, call heads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dont stoke the paranoids,Chighur.
Its a tourist town.

Theyre going to ride from the lodge to the boat launch by the dam, float down the Yellowstone nymphing for rainbows and browns, and theyre going to take out at the 3 mile landing, where all the guys will be waiting with their float boat trailers.

There are no bears youre more likely to run into an unconscious homeless person then you are any sort of predatory mammal.

I cant guarantee, that a tourist who is carrying/brandishing a SideArm, for whatever his personal reasons are, that that might not affect the quality of their trip., Or the tenor of their interactions with the guides and locals.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had no idea what I had started here. Jeeze! It's the Bighorn, actually, not the Yellowstone and we're planning on wade fishing (although a float trip isn't out of the question). I'm so used-to having something along on my various expeditions in Wyoming and Montana that it seemed quite normal to do so. The Rez is a very different animal, no question.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Lloyd,
Worrying about concealed or open carry on an Indian reservation is a very very minor detail in my life. I wouldnt let it ruin a destination fishing trip with my son. I wouldnt let it complicate a destination fishing trip with my son. Im sorry if I said Yellowstone instead of Big Horn I shouldve said Yellowtail dam.

Lloyd, if you read any of the trout magazines, the trip youre planning to take is carefully explained in a whole bunch of them theres an article or two every year doing exactly what youre about to do.

Because there are cattle ranches all along the river there, there is fencing from the Highwater mark all along the river, to keep the cattle from breaking down the river banks. I think theres some law in Montana that says Everybody is allowed to wade the river outside the fencing.
There are signs all about it along the river.
I stayed at the Cottonwood camp, did the float, hunted Huns on the neighboring farms, hooked up with the guy from the Cottonwood camp, and shot geese in some pasture around there somewhere, and then hunted ducks down on the islands at the 3 mile landing.
No firearms issues.

Everybody in the whole town was nice and friendly. But, the people that support the tourists were poor. There was no grocery store, and people placed their order for a delivery once or twice a week, where they all picked up their stuff by the laundromat.
The people jetting into the Orvis endorsed lodges and what not, werent. Thats just life in the outdoors on a big river ie lifestyle choice.
It was definitely worth it being a homeless outdoor guy, camping with all of the other transients down by the river.
Youre going to have a great trip, dont make it needlessly complicated.

If youve looked at this trip in any of the magazines, you know that its all about the flow. Its beautiful open country.

There are many reasons people come from all over the world to fish there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, if there are no bears, and there are no war parties of Indians looking for scalps, there's no reason to carry?

Yeah, right.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Im not for one second thinking to over worry about the wildlife, but I wouldnt be surprised at all to catch a glimpse of bear or mountain lion. The mountain lions definitely range down into the plains. Heck, a young grizzly was spotted just outside of Great Falls last summer. The critters will be around, but in an interesting way. Keep your eyes peeled for deer in the road, Ive had the pleasure of hitting three MT white tails, but theyre probably like that here and there n CO.

The only thing I dont quite understand is CZs consistent references to the riff raff that someone might run into. Anyway, absolutely enjoy the fishing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Presuming, because I'm not sure after all that's been posted here, that Montana is not yet a gun free zone, and carry is permitted except for the reservation maybe, and the courthouse, I would not be deterred from carrying a firearm there if it is allowed by state law. I don't care about need. I'd just stay off the reservation and out of the courthouse..Geo

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.