April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jem Finch, Lloyd3, ChiefC, David Williamson, 2 invisible), 843 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,826
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a couple of high end shotguns that have been consigned to a well known dealer that have attracted a fair bit of attention but no offers.
One is a 12 ga sxs Fabbri and the other a beautifully engraved 20 ga Ferlib SLE.
I'm getting a little restless and thinking of sending them to an auction house. Probably Rock Island, Poulin or Morphy. Not easy to choose which one but I'm asking for your comments, sharing experiences etc.
A number of years ago I had a couple of fine factory engraved Win M97's that my dealer wasn't able to sell. I sent them to James Julia and the guns fetched good prices. Moral of story is that auction houses can fetch good prices for desirable guns. But, as we know, the gun market isn't what it used to be and I may take a financial beating---I've been beat up at times by the financial markets so I've learned to take a few hits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Poulin's were connected with James Julia. They may still have the deal that any item sold for over $20,000.00 has no sellers fee and their buyers fee is 15%. Rock Island buyers fee is 15%, Morphy bought Julia's and raised the buyers fee to 20%!!! Guess who really pays the buyers fee? Hint, the buyer adds that amount to what he will bid! Make sure you have a reserve on high value guns! Sales are really slow now for double shotguns and double rifles. Used to be on Gunsinternational there were about 90 English double rifles listed, now it is over 181 and some have been on over a year! Will the market ever come back? More estates are coming for sale and older collectors selling and the buyers are fewer and fewer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just for grins, why not post a "For Sale" ad on this site with good to great pictures and a reasonable price. No commission, no buyer's premium. What do you have to lose?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Just for grins, why not post a "For Sale" ad on this site with good to great pictures and a reasonable price. No commission, no buyer's premium. What do you have to lose?

The guns are consigned to a dealer who imported them on my behalf from my homeland in Canada. Sale of the guns would go through the dealer.
I suppose I could list them here and direct interested parties to the dealer. Have to think about that. Would potential buyers be ok by being referred to a third party?
Bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GaryD007
Poulin's were connected with James Julia. They may still have the deal that any item sold for over $20,000.00 has no sellers fee and their buyers fee is 15%. Rock Island buyers fee is 15%, Morphy bought Julia's and raised the buyers fee to 20%!!! Guess who really pays the buyers fee? Hint, the buyer adds that amount to what he will bid! Make sure you have a reserve on high value guns! Sales are really slow now for double shotguns and double rifles. Used to be on Gunsinternational there were about 90 English double rifles listed, now it is over 181 and some have been on over a year! Will the market ever come back? More estates are coming for sale and older collectors selling and the buyers are fewer and fewer.

Thanks, Gary. You are right about the depressed market. Unfortunately, I'm getting on in years and want to dispose of most of my collectible shotguns. There are, of course, many others just like me selling off their collectibles and there aren't a lot of younger buyers who want to or can afford to get into the high end market. A great opportunity for younger people to buy in and take advantage of the depressed market.
Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Bill, I am up in years too! My brother and I have owned over 140 English double rifles (mostly from 1870's to 1898) since 1971. We are down to a few left. He has a Holland and Holland 8 Bore Paradox that hasn't sold for almost 9 months and is now at Holland and Holland's Dallas office for sale. I have a cased Purdey 28 Bore underlever hammer double rifle with many accessories all original in very very good condition. It sold in the 2012 Julia auction for $20,150.00. I have it listed for $11,800.00 and no bites except for a couple of trade offers. Some of the rifles we sold on Gunsinternational (a great site) and some on Julia's Auction, who were also fantastic to deal with. The dealers are trying to keep the prices up, I hope it works!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GaryD007
Hi Bill, I am up in years too! My brother and I have owned over 140 English double rifles (mostly from 1870's to 1898) since 1971. We are down to a few left. He has a Holland and Holland 8 Bore Paradox that hasn't sold for almost 9 months and is now at Holland and Holland's Dallas office for sale. I have a cased Purdey 28 Bore underlever hammer double rifle with many accessories all original in very very good condition. It sold in the 2012 Julia auction for $20,150.00. I have it listed for $11,800.00 and no bites except for a couple of trade offers. Some of the rifles we sold on Gunsinternational (a great site) and some on Julia's Auction, who were also fantastic to deal with. The dealers are trying to keep the prices up, I hope it works!

That Purdey sounds very interesting---where was it 30 years ago when any decent double was hard to come by.
I was fortunate to sell a number of my better high grades before the market crashed. But I stubbornly kept a number for old times sake.
I agree that dealers are doing their best to keep the prices up and hoping that a good trade deal may come about. I suspect that younger collectors are using auction houses to get pieces for their collection and avoiding dealers. Times do change and us older guys have trouble accepting the changes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Poulin's does the best job overall. Good, accurate descriptions & lots of pics for buyers, good rates & customer base for sellers.

RIA does a great job marketing themselves and promoting the guns, but their listings are lacking (which has turned off knowledgeable/deep pocket buyers).

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have had a number of really good suggestions here and via PM.
I have a plan in place and need to do some homework.
Thanks, everyone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can you post a link to the dealer's listing of the 28bore Purdey underlever rifle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.