Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#554419 09/07/19 01:43 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So, I'm 95% shotgun shooter. 5% 'Other'.

I've dabbled in rifles, and most recently obtained far too many Garand rifles which I do enjoy. This led me to a 500 yard range with steel (ding!) targets. I'm rather hooked.

While under the influence of pain killers for broken ribs last January, I picked up the phone and ordered a Shiloh. It happens. Opioid epidemic, etc. Credit cards are the work of the devil.

So... what's eventually coming given the near 2 years it takes them to build one, is a plain Jane 45-70.

I've obtained brass, and bullets, and a supply of 5744. I reserve the right to use black in the future.

I've read the Shiloh forum, and Venturino's book.

I don't intend to hunt, and 600 yards is my maximum available range, but the steel range is only 500 and most of my shooting will be there. It's a great place, and a few of my fellow shotgunner types frequent it.

Question is... once I get my 'letter' and have to decide on a final configuration etc, are the barrel sights adequate for 500 yard dingers?

The rifle comes with a combo full buckhorn/elevator barrel sight and a blade front. Do i need a tang sight?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

SJ, You may get good results with 5744, but you might want to try 4198 and 3031 too. A hefty load of H4831 doesn't burn well, but it makes nice groups.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think barrel, buckhorn(?)style, sights might not quite be what someone hopes for at that distance. Decent sights can get a bit pricey, but a set of MVA sights, with maybe a mid range soule sight on the tang, might work out. Ask the Shiloh folks, I doubt they'd do the hard sell just to run up the price.

The longer distance between the barrel position and the tang definitely helps, but being able to change front inserts and the rear aperture size might matter as different people see the sights and targets differently. If it's a plain model, there could be an off the shelf rifle in the ball park for a good price. Buying cast bullets might be a mixed bag when it come to consistency. Have fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes you will need a tang sight
Drool here

https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

Mike

P.S. a Lyman 17A front would also be helpful
https://www.lymanproducts.com/series-17a-target-front-sights

Last edited by skeettx; 09/07/19 03:53 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot long range for fun, and I'd get a long range tang sight, even if my limit was 500 yds. If you enjoy it like most people do, you might end up finding places to shoot further, and then have to buy a long range sight. Plus a long range sight works just fine for closer shots too. A non windage works OK if you don't mind holding over for wind adjustment. A Soule type works better if you get serious.
I'd also get a globe front sight with changeable aperture inserts so you can change them according to distance and target size.
MVA, Baldwin, Kelly, and Lee Shaver all make great sights. I see more MVA and Baldwin at shoots than all the others combined.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Think you will enjoy it. Those big bullets make a satisfying clang.
A bubble level in the front sight is worthwhile to prevent canting with the tall sights.
Chuck

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just ordered up a MVA #108.

No clue when it or my rifle might show up.

This has certainly made time slow down for me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

MVA sight arrived in less than 2 weeks!

I had read, on the Shiloh forum, that MVA could be less than prompt.

They had what I wanted in stock apparently. It's a very nice sight.

Silence from Shiloh. This month is two years.

I have seen no 'in stock' rifles on their site for a few months now. Maybe that means they are concentrating on filling long standing orders. I hope so anyway.

Meanwhile, they recently published a modest price increase and posted the 1863 for sale again as well as the 1874 military carbine.

last person to post his quoted wait time said 18 months. Curious calendar in Montana.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Call Shiloh. Email, etc, is just not worth it. Call'em. It really depends on your configuration (esp. barrel).

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would imagine you have been calling sgj. Hopefully, it’s different, but recently they have been very short on the phone, even when they already have one’s money. Hopefully, you do not have a deposit that you’re starting to think about asking for it back. Best of luck with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.