March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (CJF, Jimmy W, AZMike, Hugh Lomas, eightbore, 1 invisible), 605 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, there is a decent article on the website. https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine

Lots of interesting things to read there. Talks about renewing case colors and does explain traditional original colors tended to be dark but with not the vivid colors we often see today. I think the best case color people can give you what ever you want and the average will give you what ever comes out on the other end.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
In my opinion the locks and action are best left alone. Some restorers insist on a full re-case colour hardening of the lock-plates and action. I think it is a mistake. Now, restoration is a personal thing, but as a professional, my job is to guide the customer towards what I believe is tasteful work. If he doesnt buy-in to my ideas, he is better off going elsewhere.

Excellent article Jon. The above quote pretty well sums up my stand on "Re-Coloring" guns. I don't have mine re-colored.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I rarely have a gun re-colored for colors alone. Usually restoration work such as repairing damage or picking up engraving is done which requires re-hardening.

Interesting colors on the AA Brown gun. I found what they said about plates to evenly distribute colors interesting.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my youth I did have several guns recolored when redoing them. I doubt I would these days unless it was a total upgrade complete with reshaping the metal and engraving. Even then I might go more for a French Grey finish. Classic guns like a nice double have the right to look a little old and well used.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Holland and Holland 8 BORE double rifle recolor hardened after some pitting was removed and engraving recut. The action came back with a small crack in the front slot where the front barrel lug went in. The hardener (who I will not name) welded the crack and recolored. Second time it came out fine. It seems the larger the action the more chance of it becoming warped. When having a rifle color hardened in the USA you get what you get. Some reds and oranges sometimes that aren't on English hardened guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miss Martin, our art teacher, lectured us on discordant colour matches, and blue with brown was on top of the list. Those are the colours most often seen side in case colour hardening. It is a mystery to me how people can find the combination alluring!

Now when the colours fade, and they leave behind that soft grey, now that is worth having! Why anyone would want to lose that soft grey by rehardening is another mystery!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scroll down to a .410 Westley Richards that was recolored. Unfortunately the author did not document the craftsman who did the work
https://www.theexplora.com/page/27/

Sidelock
Sidelock

That .410 Drop Lock looks beautiful.
I need to get my furnace set up so that I can work on colors.
I'm excited for winter!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You and me both, Tinker. My furnace, charcoal, and crucible have been sitting in my shop for several years ........... and I've never gotten around to it. It's high time for it to be used.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few pictures of my vintage Birmingham Clabrough and Johnstone trade shotgun, built circa 1925, which still has it's original vivid case colors. I'm likely the third owner as far as I know. It was purchased by me from an Estate sale. The owner's son said it was purchased by his father in the 1950's and then basically sat in the back of a closet until I purchased it 40 years later. Obviously someone else must have owned it between circa 1925-1950's again with very little usage.

________

TC

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.