April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (DaveB, Jimmy W, Marplot, buckstix, 2 invisible), 352 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,788
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell
Interesting, but those letters arent inlayed, you can see the striations on the ribs through the lettering.

Yep, very easy to see that this is not an inlay if you blow the picture up a bit. Actually, it looks like it was done with a rubber stamp and white ink. Could be another Bob Cash upgrade.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

kieth

great catch.... once you blow it up, it certainly looks like white paint/ink

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Believe it or not, there are other Lincoln Jeffries that are marked that way as well as other makers/retailers. Still the question remains. Hows it done?

Last edited by RARiddell; 11/14/19 08:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I enlarge the photo the striations appear to be from the sanding of the rib/inlay which I have seen on many of my own lettering inlays prior to polishing with a much finer grit.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Hunter
kieth

great catch.... once you blow it up, it certainly looks like white paint/ink

Credit goes to RARiddell. It was his comment that prompted me to enlarge the photo.

For those who don't know how to do that, press and hold the
"Ctrl" key on your keyboard, and at the same time, hit the "+" key several times. Do the same thing with the "Ctrl" and "-" key to reduce it back to the usual size.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SamW #558336 11/14/19 10:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SamW
When I enlarge the photo the striations appear to be from the sanding of the rib/inlay which I have seen on many of my own lettering inlays prior to polishing with a much finer grit.

So what's the concensus? Seems like at least a few who do inlay are suggesting the 'striations' are just sanding marks that could be seen on inlaid silver while others see those marks as rock solid proof that it's not inlay

Last edited by Woodreaux; 11/14/19 10:45 PM.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would have to have the gun in hand to confirm, at least to myself.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, did you enlarge the photo and look yourself? The more you blow up the photo, the more apparent it becomes that this lettering isn't inlay work. And I don't know of any engraver who would lay claim to doing inlay that looked like that. If the owner of the gun likes the lettering, he should be very careful to avoid wiping it down with lacquer thinner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell
Interesting, but those letters arent inlayed, you can see the striations on the ribs through the letting.

As I have had to have this kind of lettering redone on numerous occasions ,coming out when reblacking or stripping and relaying ribs ,its the engraver who refills them .Biggest problem is they are often not cut deep enough te engraver not wanting to go to deep for fear of breaking through a thin rib .Any marks showing are from clothing off after the letters were inlaid .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks inlayed to me

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.