March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, Argo44), 363 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

This is not new I know. But when I'm shooting my 16 ga 1847 muzzleloading shotgun at sporting clays at Bull Run, people get upset at the time I'm taking to load (unless I let them shoot a round). I ordered these small test tubes from Amazon....with gradations...$6.00 for 50. I'll load powder and shot aforetime...with 170 year old barrels, don't what to make a mistake in the field with shot dispensers and power flasks. And they're a lot cheaper than the advertised "quick load" stuff you can get at Cabellas. With the percussion cap linear dispenser...it greatly reduces load time..(and I still let good people shoot it...never seen such joy on hard core, O/U shooters). Just thought I'd share. - oh...and the little plastic wine containers you can buy at Giant for cooking and stuff are better for holding shot than anything....I tried the miniature Smirnoff vodka bottles...not big enough.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/25/19 09:00 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks good. could you use a bigger tube and put a wad between powder and shot and keep in just one tube?

There are lots of different vials on Amazon. I found some that I use for weighed charges for long-range rifle shooting. Some of them can have a little bit of static electricity problems that keeps some of the powder from dropping but they get better after a time. Wiping with an anti-static rag or clothes dryer additive may help as well.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my field quick loader setup. Two sample vials scotch taped together one holds powder the other shot, a homemade wad starter, and a capper.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I hadn't thought of taping them together like that....we did it with magazines for the CAR-15 in Vietnam. I'm always afraid that I'll dump two 70 grain charges of powder into one barrel while chatting with the interested crowd...that might solve the problem.

I have no chokes on the gun of course...and seating the wads and overshot card is not a problem for the shotgun. And I'm putting a cushion wad liberally soaked in olive oil on top of the set up...it's slick.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/25/19 09:47 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend came up to Iowa to hunt pheasants with a 4 bore singleshot. He used the traditional shotbag over the shoulder, and (iirc) premeasured powder vials. He was really quick with that and he did some damage to the pheasant population (and a flushed turkey as well).

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do two shots at each station, and generally keep up. (Powder flask and shot snake.)

Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I thought about using the little Vodka bottles...better to use the test tubes...cheaper and easier on the liver:

Last edited by Argo44; 11/25/19 09:54 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc

Indeed there are several muzzle-loading tubes, etc but I've always wondered how to manage the caps. Is that a vintage device/tool in the picture?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

ellenbr,
that is an inline capper sold by many muzzleloader suppliers, sporting goods shops, etc. Another popular capper is a Ted Cash capper. Also easily found. Try www.trackofthewolf.com Put it on a string around your neck or in your pocket.

Many of the commercially available speedloaders have a notch or some similar structure for holding a percussion cap.

The taped centrifuge tubes look pretty functional however. They appear to have the screw on tops, which I found have strong advantages over snap on caps - esp. if you do a lot of elevational change.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used one of the snail-shaped cappers by Ted Csh for many years. It worked well on my double shotgun, Pennsylvania style rifle & Colt reproduction revolvers. I accumulated a number of plastic tubes which 3/4" endmills came in while still employed as a machinist. These had a tight-fitting slip-on Redcap on each end. I would put powder & over powder wads in one & shot with over powder wad in another.

This worked good in the field hunting. In a situation where shots might come fast &numerous, as in a hot dove field I carried as many as practical & then in a lull reloaded them from shot & powder flasks. Early on in my muzzle loading, I was advised to NEVER load the powder charge directly from a flask.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.