March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, Marc Ret), 575 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,405
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#560496 12/16/19 10:52 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I first encountered this terminology when I took an 1887 L.C.Smith to be proof tested in Birmingham. Mr Terry O'Donnell who prepped the gun suggested Best Birmingham Brown for a finish.Later that year (1990) I came across a copy of Mr. Angiers Book on gun finishes.In the chapter Finishing solutions with two metallic salts he lists both BB Black & BB Brown.
I assumed it would be relatively easy to replicate and sometime later when back in the states set about collecting all the necessary equipment and supplies to try this out.
The first issue was the Sweet Spirit of Nitre. Apparently commonly used as a cold remedy this was banned by the FDA in 1980 for over the counter sales. I suspect that its initial inclusion was a means to increase the alcohol content in the solution without having to pay the heavy alcohol tax in the UK. In working with the solution I came to the conclusion that the presence of the Alcohol is to speed the evaporation of the solution when applied to prevent puddling, by reducing the evap point it readily spreads on the bbls that have just come out of the boiling water and evaporates very quickly.
Second issue was the Nitric acid Listed as density 1.46 in Angier (concentrated) in the US the commercially available is a much weaker 20% WV solution. per my vendor Spectrum chemical
it is necessary to use 4.2 x the amount 20%WV to obtain the same mole count in the final solution.
The alcohol listed in Angier was 90deg (45%) Avail US was 190
(97%) I used half the mass given in the original recipe.
Both Copper sulphate and Ferric Chloride29% we supposedly inter changeable.
Having got everything together I proceed to start testing.
The results were mediocre.After several attempts I decided to check the mixing Flask It took 125 gms of water to fill to the 100ml line I'd been using!! I ended up re calibrating a couple of flasks to accurately reflect 100 & 200ml volumes. Having got that glitch out of the way I proceeded with repeat tests. Improvement but not good enough.
Then followed a period of searching for improved "Blackness"
To cut a long story short Angier states that he used 29% FeCl3 solution by default as this was the standard strength in both the US and Continental Europe.England never used 29% but used a 44% solution which was later dropped to a 40% solution.
I had my son calculate a revised mole count to match a 40% solution and he came up with a multiplier of 1.22 gms 29% = 1gm 40%.
From this revised formula I started to get good results which when coupled with best practices in cleaning,polishing gave overall very satisfactory finishes.
The revised formula utilizing US commercially available supplies

Copper sulfate crystals reagent quality 2.8gms
Ferric Chloride 29% Sol. 10.0gms
Nitric acid 20% WV 11.75gms
Alcohol 190 proof 1.53 gms
Water Sufficient to make up to 100ml

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for explaining your detective work. Not a bad looking idea to make up a little cheat sheet to stick in the Angier book that might help understand his formulas in general.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hugh;

Thank you for the summary of your systematic and scientific approach to sorting out the differences to obtain the final formula you used.

I remember that about 20 years ago Jack Rowe in a conversation with me and others, opined that he thought that a blacking formula containing Nitric Acid was unlikely to be able to produce a "glossy" type barrel blacking finish. Since you have actually very successfully used a formula with Nitric Acid and the results being that Jack Rowe said that the finish was as good as he had ever seen in the UK and America, what are your thoughts on why Jack may have had such an opinion?

Kindest Regards;
Stephen

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Re:Jack's thoughts on Nitric acid. I have no idea why he came up with this theory. A quick review of what recipes i have nearby shows nitric acid present in all of them.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hugh - Are you familiar with Bob Veasey's blueing solutions? Are any simillar to the "Birmingham black" you developed?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, I am not familiar with his solutions.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hugh, shouldn't the liquid measures on the formula be ml instead of gms?

I have a Pharmacy degree and liquids were always in ml for formulas

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Re gms vs ml. you are correct in that liquids would normally be expressed as volumes. Unfortunately due to the rudimentary equipment available I could not measure volumes accurately enough to ensure repeatability. I did have a scale that would go to 1/10th gm so this appeared to offer the best practical approach. I believe volumes were weight adjusted based on density.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

You would have to know the specific gravity of each liquid to use grams, so it would be better to simply use milliliters.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.