Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just out of curiosity who was in business in the late 70s that would have been able to sleeve and refinish a best gun? Or better yet what options would you most likely use to send a best gun in for work during that time?
Thanks and Happy Boxing Day!

Last edited by RARiddell; 12/27/19 10:19 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know that Westley Richards were doing quite a bit of re-sleeving work around then. I don't know if they did it themselves or used an outworker. Lagopus..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Benjamin Wild & Son,Wm Ford,Thomas Wild,G E Lewis all ran adverts for sleeving at the time but as always in the Trade,where you took your gun and where the work was done could be totally different places !!!

Last edited by Imperdix; 12/27/19 12:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Westley is my favorite maker but, there were some years that Westley's sleeving was not the best. most if not all showed seams.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sleeving was pioneered by Chris Ashthorpe. There is some information here http://worcestergunsmith.co.uk/history.html
In the earlier days of sleeving, the joint was always visible, I think because the new tubes were soldered in place?. I believe improvements in welding techniques allowed TIG welding to be used without the heat damage that would have been incurred with earlier processes. Note that many sleeved guns had damascus breechings, and steel tubes, so that the blacking had to be even across two different materials, difficult to achieve invisibly. The best sleeving nowadays is very good indeed at hiding the join.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys, I have recently pick up a James Lang sidelock that was refinished and sleeved in England in 1977 before it made its way to auction and then here to the states. The refinish Job is beyond excellent and if Birmingham hadnt have marked it sleeved you would never had known. So I was curious who may have been doing refinish/restoration work during that time. One thing to note the tubes were outsourced in Belgium.

Last edited by RARiddell; 12/27/19 05:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell
Just out of curiosity who was in business in the late 70s that would have been able to sleeve and refinish a best gun? Or better yet what options would you most likely use to send a best gun in for work during that time?
Thanks and Happy Boxing Day!

Malcolm Cruxton in Price Street, Birmingham. You can view photos of Malcolm and his fellow gunmakers of 1981 in his shop on pages 156 and 157 of David Williams book: "The BIRMINGHAM GUN TRADE" (copyright 2004-- Tempus Publishing Ltd)

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell
Thanks guys, I have recently pick up a James Lang sidelock that was refinished and sleeved in England in 1977 before it made its way to auction and then here to the states. The refinish Job is beyond excellent and if Birmingham hadnt have marked it sleeved you would never had known. So I was curious who may have been doing refinish/restoration work during that time. One thing to note the tubes were outsourced in Belgium.

Can you post pictures? I recently had a James Lang BLNE of fairly decent quality - some very nice stuff bears his name.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.