March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ian Forrester, Ted Schefelbein, LeFusil, smlekid), 858 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#562144 01/07/20 10:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is there any market for issues of this publication? I have a issues from Spring 2003 through winter of 2005. Also have several past issues of shooting sportsman.

thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you do a search for them on E-bay, you will see them being sold all the time. Right now, one guy has a listing for his DGJ collection in the For Sale forum here.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It has been my observation over the last 10 years that the market and demand for DGJ's has lessened greatly. I have seen DGJ complete collections (excluding the original issue) sell for only a few hundred dollars--I do not remember the exact price but it was between $300.00 to $400.00. I recall one of my shooting club members telling me that he cut all the articles from his DGJ collection and trashed the remainder, I would have at least given them away.

Last edited by bushveld; 01/07/20 02:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the complete set from #1. Taking up a lot of space and seldom ever look at them. Trashed my complete set of Shooting Sportsman magazines some time back.....

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a complete set from an original signed copy of Volume I, Issue I to include slipcases. These things take up more shelf space that I presently have for display, but I suppose I'll keep the collection intact. Whenever I write I receive several additional writer's copies, which I always give away. For whatever its worth, in the early days of the DGJ a novice like me saw pictures of guns he never knew existed and found the magazine much more exciting/enjoyable/entertaining/educational than I do nowadays; so looked forward to each issue and would read same from cover to cover. It's not as interesting now, most likely because I've become a bit jaded with age. But I still write occasionally whenever I come across an unusual gun or story of interest, and do so because 1) I see (others may not) the information I've learned as information the collectors fraternity will or should want to know; and 2) I'm 70 now and if I don't make this information public it likely dies with me. For instance, in researching my latest DGJ article I learned that the second A3 Grade 20-bore two barrel set actually exists and was NOT destroyed in a fire as was rumored. This is great information for collector fraternity because a fake LC represented as the original has circulated for years as the "restored" original A3. The last I heard (and this was prior to the article being published) was that this fake A3 had sold for $105K at a large mid-western gun show. I suspect whoever purchased this gun will be real unhappy when it's revealed that his gun is worth just a fraction of what he paid; but to protect the integrity of the collector's fraternity this fake needed to be exposed for what it really is. And although the DGJ may no longer hold the same appeal to many of us old timers, it has been an invaluable resource to the collector's fraternity and my hope is that it continues to exist for years to come.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have just about all of them, most in slip cases. Missing 3 issues from the first 2 years. I rarely look at them now but I do like having them for reference.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: topgun
I have a complete set from an original signed copy of Volume I, Issue I to include slipcases. These things take up more shelf space that I presently have for display, but I suppose I'll keep the collection intact. Whenever I write I receive several additional writer's copies, which I always give away. For whatever its worth, in the early days of the DGJ a novice like me saw pictures of guns he never knew existed and found the magazine much more exciting/enjoyable/entertaining/educational than I do nowadays; so looked forward to each issue and would read same from cover to cover. It's not as interesting now, most likely because I've become a bit jaded with age. But I still write occasionally whenever I come across an unusual gun or story of interest, and do so because 1) I see (others may not) the information I've learned as information the collectors fraternity will or should want to know; and 2) I'm 70 now and if I don't make this information public it likely dies with me. For instance, in researching my latest DGJ article I learned that the second A3 Grade 20-bore two barrel set actually exists and was NOT destroyed in a fire as was rumored. This is great information for collector fraternity because a fake LC represented as the original has circulated for years as the "restored" original A3. The last I heard (and this was prior to the article being published) was that this fake A3 had sold for $105K at a large mid-western gun show. I suspect whoever purchased this gun will be real unhappy when it's revealed that his gun is worth just a fraction of what he paid; but to protect the integrity of the collector's fraternity this fake needed to be exposed for what it really is. And although the DGJ may no longer hold the same appeal to many of us old timers, it has been an invaluable resource to the collector's fraternity and my hope is that it continues to exist for years to come.

Tom;
Your referenced above article and the story of the fake was of much interest to me when I read it last month. Of significant interest to me, however was the engraving of the pictured A3. The talent of the engraver(whoever it was) was of several levels higher than the typical American engraver of the time frame of the gun.

I keep my DGJ's for reference as well and will pass them on to my grandson.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BV
Albert Kraus was head of Hunter's engraving shop in 1909 when this gun was produced; and although he may not have cut every line, he certainly did the majority of the work we see. Mr. Kraus was an undisputed master of his craft, but functioning also as department head, he was also responsible for insuring all members of his staff received enough hours each week to make a living. The result was that one worker might be assigned frame filing/sculpting, another border lines, and so forth according to individual skill levels which is why we do not see Smith guns (I've seen some engraving time/pay slips from the 30's; rates ranged from $.10-.30/hour) signed by A.E. Kraus (I hear rumors, but haven't seen an authentic piece). Early Smith guns inscribed Glahn S.C. do exist; but Kraus's master apprentice Charles Jarred, Jr. did not sign his work either in following the tradition of his master (Jerred did, however, place his engraver's mark, his initials "CHJ" disguised as scroll, on some Ruger pistols he engraved for Strum Ruger long after the Smith gun works had closed; and he did inlay those same initials on his personal Smith gun that he never completed). I've seen detailed photos of the recently discovered second A-3 20-bore and the style and quality of the engraving on that gun is identical to the engraving seen on the A-3 in the article. I'm too dumb to post pics here, but if you wish to send an email to tomarcher@charter.net I'll be happy to forward photos of the engraving on the fake gun along with those of the authentic gun for comparison purposes. Best, Tom

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Tom;

I am going to send you an email just now.

Stephen

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have three Issue No. Ones in their original brown paper mailers, never opened, for $100 each if anyone's interested. On topic, but I will move to classified if it matters.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.