March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, Licensed to kill, KDGJ, Argo44, 1 invisible), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello guys,
hope everyone is in good health, or at least as good as you were a couple of months ago.
I have always wondered how long it takes to really & properly measure say a 30"set of bbls for wall thickness. Do you go round n round slowly advancing up the bore, or what?...it seems like it could take quite a while, as you wouldn't want to miss a thin spot. I guess getting closer to the muzzles, you can speed up a bit?
I have no idea, & would like to know.
Cheers lads.
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use one that has two 5/8" rods and another with a 1/2" rod. It is like the Galazan one but homemade. I can measure half of a 32" barrel then turn it upside down and measure the rest. My first reading is 4" and I turn the barrel from top rib to bottom rib and record the lowest reading. Move it up 2" and do it again until I have to turn it around and do the same. I only record the lowest reading and mark that in my records.
It does take some time to do but it worth it.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/CqIYF61.jpg?1[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/e5VRnLQ.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by David Williamson; 03/14/20 07:54 AM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try to be consistent in your measurements, do it a couple of times. I sent a set out to have measured got the all clear, sent it back the following year to get documentation of numbers and got a no go, said screw those guys and sent them to Kirk Merrington and actually spoke with him on the phone about the barrels and my concerns, long story short the guy who measured them the second time really screwed up!

Last edited by RARiddell; 03/14/20 08:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

All depends on the equipment and the experience of the person doing it .Usually took me about 5 minutes or less for a full measure 2/3 for a quick check . But I had been doing it for years .

Last edited by gunman; 03/15/20 01:14 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Dave
Gunman, how do you proceed?,what length intervals from the breech on up to muzzle?...every couple of inches & rotating fully in that spot?, then move on....What is involved in a Quick Check?shoot, 5 mins, that's one bbl right?, that seems awesomely fast, good on you mate
Thanks all
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Checking wall thickness process is simplified by first establishing if the bore is parallel or has been bored tapered or some other weird shape. Generally they are parallel. This can be done most easily with a sprung bore gauge, you just run the gauge up the bore from either end and look how the dial moves. With this established, you just put the barrel on the WT gauge and run it up and down the full length of the rod whilst watch the dial. Any low spots you work over more carefully and eventually you know what is the minimum point.
Like Gunman, I am doing this several times per week, sometimes dozens of time, and you get pretty good at spotting the dodgy areas on a barrel set. I think I would agree with Gunman on timing.
One thing that can make it take a lot longer is the presence of serious pitting in an otherwise thick barrel. Here you are looking for the worst pitting and the approximate MWT at its worst to give an indication of whether lapping the pits out would give you a usable (or reproof-able) wall thickness overall. Obviously with the nature of pitting it is a VERY approximate measurement but worth doing none the less: it can turn a sleever into a possible reproofer or visa versa.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All right , thank you Dave, Gunman & Toby,
cheers everyone, be safe
franc

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Drew, thanks for posting my instructions on using the $100 Manson wall thickness gauge. This instruction is directly compliments of Jon Hosford. It is the most convenient way to use the Manson gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion. as i have stated elsewhere, my usage of bore gauges is satisfactory, but due to childhood neurological damage i tend to be rather shaky.
my usage of the manson wt gauge has never been confidence inspiring. he recommends suspending the tool vertically, and that approach has not helped my performance.

drew's photograph of his gun show set-up - combined with hosford's detailed tutorial have not only shown a superior way, but have also clearly explained why it is better.

in truth, it's never to late for an old dog to learn a new trick....

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.