March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#567341 03/15/20 08:14 AM
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw on either the Holland or Purdy you tube videos these round top files used for shaping the drop points. No file cuts on flat, just the top. Anyone know where to obtain them or something similar?

Thanks

Last edited by susjwp; 03/15/20 08:15 AM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have not seen what you are referring to. Drop points can be a real challenge. Galazan sold a drop point chisel long ago. I have considered making one up. Do you have a link to the video showing the file you mention?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I been experimenting with a bunch of things and still have to resort to the bloody scraper ,I actually contacted H&H and asked about the file where to purchase they offered little help other than the boys make them their selves ...it would be a simple thing to make your own just the same ,I just haven't took the time

Sidelock
Sidelock

can you use a regular half round file with the flat part ground smooth?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be interesting to see what these files look like. I have some files on bent handles that are supposed to be for inletting and they are the most useless things I've ever owned.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had recalled seeing the file before, or at least a version of it. 'Holland and Holland Factory Craftsmanship', an 18:52 length video on the tube shows it at around 9:15? That particular file looks to cut on all surfaces, maybe more for finishing than roughing.

I wouldn't think it's an off the shelf tool, but who knows? A quick picture of the cutting surface that's in use might be helpful as it may differ some from the showing side. Anyone have thoughts on creating fine file flutes?

susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craigd,

That is the one and the video. I suspected it was a hand fashioned tool of the stock maker/finisher. It certainly makes recutting those worn tear drops easier. This level of refinishing may be above my pay grade, but...

Thanks for the link.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A "drop point" shaper is not a true file it is more of a rasp. they are very easy to make either from an old good quality file or from a 3/8 inch plain edge wood chisel. Either method you choose you will have to break the metal's temper so it will be soft enough for shaping. I did give instructions on how to break the temper of a file the method for the chisel is the same, then re harden it after shaping when I made two guncase turnscrews posting. I prefer the wood chisel because the top and bottom surfaces are smooth from the start it will also have a fitted handle with a file you have to make at least one surface smooth. Shape the end of either item you use round I prefer a lollypop shape rather than a plane round end because a waste gives better access. the cutting edge is just a number of straight cut teeth using a triangular needle file or a junior hacksaw then re hardened then tempered to pale straw.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Drop point files you are referring to are usually made by the stockers themselves.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd sure like to see a picture of a "Drop Point Shaper". I have no idea what it might look like from the descriptions here???
I formed these with laying out with a template, then stabbing straight down with tiny chisels, relieving the chip then work the surrounding wood down with files and sand paper. My files have a safe edge ground so they only cut on the bottom and one edge. Maybe that is what you are describing? They are visually matched side to side and all traces of tool marks removed. Lastly, the tops are gently rounded over.
I leave no extra wood, just what is left after shaping the lock panels with a tapering V the length of the drop point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.