March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#567739 03/20/20 07:18 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I was loading Dan's Krag pictures into my Imgur account I got to looking at some of the other images I had uploaded. Came across this and am not sure if I have ever posted it here. This is the Harvey Rodgers exhibit at the Central Illinois Museum of Custom Sporting Rifles.

A pair of 03's, a Win 52, and a 1922 that was Arthur Harts personal target rifle. Tithirington barrel and Rodgers stock.

Each very different, yet each unmistakably by the same chraftsman.

This image is several years old, the museum has since added several more examples of Rodgers work to its collection.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice rifles! I especially like that second 03. It seems to sit a little lower in the stock and the scope looks lower. Maybe just the angle.

Thanks for posting John.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where is the "Central Illinois Museum of Custom Sporting Rifles" located?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40
Where is the "Central Illinois Museum of Custom Sporting Rifles" located?

Im guessing in Carlock, Illinois.

Shane Robinson
Joplin, MO
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm glad to see that someone else shared my taste for Springfield actions, Lyman Alaskan All Weather scopes, Lyman 48 receiver sights and Griffin and Howe side mounts.

The scope on the top Springfield appears to be mounted high enough so as to clear the Lyman 48 rear sight, a common practice by Griffin and Howe in the 1930's.

My first .458 WM, stocked by Hal Hartley in the early 1960's, metal work by Harry Creighton.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: xausa
I'm glad to see that someone else shared my taste for Springfield actions, Lyman Alaskan All Weather scopes, Lyman 48 receiver sights and Griffin and Howe side mounts.

The scope on the top Springfield appears to be mounted high enough so as to clear the Lyman 48 rear sight, a common practice by Griffin and Howe in the 1930's.

My first .458 WM, stocked by Hal Hartley in the early 1960's, metal work by Harry Creighton.

As a target shooter, you would like that top rifle. It is built on a national match barreled action that Hart Arms bought directly from Springfield Armory. It has a little fuller stock than is typical on a sporting rifle. The front sling swivel is a little further forward than typical, and has a very robust mounting to the barrel. The owner also had two slides for the rear sight. One with hunter knobs, and another with the bigger target knobs. The one with target knobs was stored inside the buttplate along with a spare firing pin, and extractor, and a piece of card stock with zero's neatly written on it for each slide out to I believe 400 yards. Made me wonder if the original owner was a target shooter and used the rifle both for hunting as well as target shooting on occasion.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.