March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, LRF, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#569530 04/11/20 10:39 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's slow so a little change of pace!. Here is a rifle I've had for a couple of years. It's an H Schmidt K.G. made in Oggenhausen. Mighty 4 mm ball ammo. Not exactly an elephant gun, or mouse for that matter, lol. I'm surprised of the quality put into these rifles. This particular rifle almost feels as though it was moulded around my build. Fits perfectly and is very comfortable to hold. Is this rifle properly classified as a zimmerstutzen or is that a term erroneously applied to many of these types of rifles?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your rifle seems to be constructed to allow it to be loaded near the muzzle of the barrel, which is typical of a bolt action Zimmerstutzen or "parlor rifle" as it is usually translated. Your 4mm ammunition is not powerful enough to make it down a full length barrel, although the full length barrel is needed for sighting purposes.

Zimmerstutzen were made to be fired indoors into a bullet trap holding special targets adjusted for indoor use. The range is 15 meters and the ten ring of the target measures 4.5mm. Each of the smaller value rings is also 4.5mm in width and rings 10-6 are included in the black bullseye of the target. The rest of the rings are in the white portion of the target and are numbered down to "1".
The targets themselves are 85.5 mm long and 40mm wide.

Zimmerstutzen have been largely replaced by precision air rifles.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks.
I have a few Walther, Diana and Air Arms air rifles but I just like the looks, quality and feel of these Zimmerstutzens. Just something about them I find appealing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For many years the 4mm rifles( and other guns, conversion units, etc. chambered for 4mm cartridges) were free of requirements of "permit to buy" or "permit to own". This contributed to their popularity, naturally. Since the new liberal government, I'm not sure if they are freely owned in Germany.
Mike

pwm Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think "licence free" for 4 mm Zimmerstutzen ended with the gun law of 1973 that was created to stop the left wing Rote Armee Fraktion terrorgroup.
Its easy to buy them because you dont need a licence before but you need a gun licence at all were the rifle have to be registered.
The Zimmerstutzen comunity in germany is small, more like a subculture.

what do mean with "Since the new liberal government," angela merkel, who is in power since 2005?
she represent the CDU and right from the CDU are only the neonazis, no other political party. Kohl was also a CDU party member from 1978 to 1998 and he did not change anything. the lefty SPD chancellor Gerhardt Schröder who was in power together with the green party from 1998 to 2005 left behind a new gunlaw that made black rifles with big magazine legal.

its not so simple

Last edited by pwm; 04/13/20 01:40 PM.
pwm #569712 04/13/20 04:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

pwm,
I mean what ever government that caused the guns to be destroyed when a hunter dies and doesn't have an heir that has a license, and the widow can't sell them in time. See www.german-gun-imports.com/Home/.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 04/13/20 05:02 PM.
Der Ami #569747 04/14/20 12:19 AM
pwm Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

the widow can sell them allways, there is no problem if you wish.
a walk to the next gunmaker and guns are in hands who can hold them. question is if its possible to find someone who want it. there are not many people who want and fewer who want to pay the prices asked for fine guns.
people dont have an interest in "old guns", it makes trouble or they hate them so dont give a shit about it.
but this is not the liberal government, there is a leftist society but this is what you get when you liberated a country from the right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In German, I suggest to use https://www.deepl.com/home
for translation:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmerstutzen

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's an excellent article about Zimmerstutzen rifles out on the web posted by Pyramid Air -- well worth the time to Google-search for it. Lots of good info in it.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, it is an informative article.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.