April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (azgreg, GSPWillie, AaronN, Hammergun, fishrising, 1 invisible), 1,045 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,707
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How much different are earlier M700 from later ones, by sn. and yom. A friend has one in 30-06, wants a better trigger than factory design (can't say as I blame him) I shot his, and my 1939 M70 SG yesterday-getting set for wild hogs-- no comparison--

FWIW- the sn on his Remmie 700 is A6817508- 24" barrel, solid stock no floorplate-- any idea of the vintage of his rifle.It has the shiny varnish fiosh and the cheap iron-on pressed checking--RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 04/15/20 03:26 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

For what it's worth, I replaced mine on a R-700 that was about 20 yrs old with a Timney and it dropped right in and required no adjustments. I was really surprised how easy it was and how well it worked. Trigger pull was exactly what I wanted.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Run With The Fox,
A timney can make a big difference. I have replaced a number of stock triggers with Timneys and they usually dropped right in with the exception of one rifle that needed a little wood, and I mean a little, removed for clearance.

Couple of items... Usually the blind magazine rifles like your friends are model ADL and the ones with the Magazine Floor Plate in front of the trigger guard are model BDL (a step up from the ADL).

Another good reason for replacing the trigger is due to the issues remington had with the Safeties failing unexpectedly and all 700 have been recalled (to the best of my knowledge). They will still replace the trigger at the factory but it will not improve the pull. I called on one and by the time I paid the shipping, replacing with the basic Timney was only $25 more, kinda a no brainer. I did call Timney to ask if their trigger/safety would solve the Remington issue and they said YES!

As for date of manufacture that is determined by the 2-3 letter code on the barrel just in front of the receiver ring. First letter indicates the month, the second &/or 3rd letter(s) indicates the year of Mfg. There are a number of sites (just search google using Remington MFG Date ) and you will find a number of tables you an use to get the date.

Hope this helps...
WBLDon

Sidelock
Sidelock

Timney's have gotten rather expensive since I used them for a M96 replacement about 20 years ago. IIRC they were about $75 back then, now they start at $165.

FWIW the rifle guys at the Accurate Reloading forums seem to thing Trigger Techs are a better unit.

I have a Neal Jones tuned Rem 700 trigger that's unused if he's interested. Down to 3#'s, $85.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks- the search engine showed this rifle to have been mfg. in 1981-- nice shape, stock has been acra-glas bedded, also, a Timney is already in place. Stock has the ugly pressed in checkering, gloss finish (No rattle-No Shine was NOT the op word at REMMIE BACK THEN, WHEN "uNCLE dUPEY" OWNED THEM.,.ALAS-- With iron sights, gun is worth maybe $5oo with the bedding and Timney trigger- ain't no pre-64 Winnie, but hard to find one of those in any kind of shape for $500-right? Thanks for the infeed. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.