April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marplot, SKB, Kip, battle, Jem Finch, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,791
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 33 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 32 33
Sidelock
Sidelock

CB, You have a great project here and will soon have a great gun to use. I suspect on an undertaking like this, you've enjoyed the gun all along but more so as each step unfolds and confirms the faith you launched from. Nowadays, work like this reminds us what is possible and gives us a glimpse of what normal life has to offer when we get back to it. Thank you.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, you probably don't have to wait. I'd bet you could go to the range every day if you felt like it, and if this project was F/F, you might even take it out for spring turkey. The only thing on hold is tofu lattes and conventions, no big deal.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Bill.

Craig, more on this later in the thread but the starting point for the chokes was .048/.048 A buddy's Superfox is only marginally tighter at .050/.051

I know that during the repair of the barrels, to remove all trace of the dents, a slight honing was required but I believe the chokes would still be a very tight extra full choke. While I want to use it on waterfowl, I'm hoping it becomes death to turkey. Not this season though. Opens in one week. Can't wait.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I probably missed it, but I didn't realize the gun was choked like that. There's so much conversation about opening chokes up, glad you're leaving this one alone.

I can understand someone wanting a big hammer, but if the dekes are working half way decent, an ounce and an eighth of bismuth at 1200 or maybe 1250fps would be my thinking for plenty of fall duck medicine. It's what I'm planning this fall for a F/F gun that I just started shooting again at some informal clays for the first time in about twenty-five years. I guess I'm a little bored? Enjoying the write up, I'm following along.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craig, that's exactly the kind of load I'm thinking of, although I still have some TM in 1 1/4 oz. Looking forward to patterning it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing I absolutely love about this gun, other than its intrinsic beauty overall, is the figure and color of the wood. It's my idea of perfect in beauty. The red/brown color, the black mineral streaking throughout make this my idea of "as good as it gets". You cannot go buy wood with that color anymore. There's plenty out there that will rival and even surpass the figure, but that color wood is long gone.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Recoil Rob]Do we know how many of this era Lindner/Day's were made?
If my memory serves correctly, according to Ken Georgi,the current custodian of the Daly list which contains data on several hundred Dalys (mostly Lindners), the highest recorded number in the first numbering sequence (pre 1892-3)is #3950. Lindner guns made during this period were marked with a crown over crossed pistols. Remember these are Lindner numbers not Daly numbers. Lindner also made guns for several other American retailers but most went to Daly. The first 200+ or so numbers appear not to be reused. lindner started the second set of numbers in 1892-3.
So, from 1868-1870 to 1892-3,(the first number period), Lindner, including Georg,the father and Hendrick, the son, numbered less than 4,000 guns.
The second numbering sequence began in 1892-3. )It gets pretty sketchy exactly when. The German government claimed the crown symbol for it's own proof mark in 1892. With the crown no longer available, Lindner began using "HAL" over crossed pistols although there are reports of guns marked only with crossed pistols during that transitory period.
It appears the the second numbering sequence did not start at "1" but at 200+. Guns marked with a crown or no crown over crossed pistols have been reported with second series numbers.
The second series of numbers ended at less than #2700 in 1917 when German shipping was denied access to the US. So, less than 2500 Lindner guns were produced with second series numbers The last couple of hundred guns produced were mostly single barrel trap guns. The one thing that is clear is that regardless of when it was made, a Lindner made gun was made to the highest standards and priced accordingly.

Last edited by Jon S; 04/18/20 01:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, I do hope to put in some range time soon. We're lucky here to be out from the worst of the plague. As for turkey hunting, I have no experience or skill, but I like knowing they're out there. I keep busy inventing things to do in the shop. I'm winding up a percussion case adaptation and gritting my teeth to launch some bluing work I've put off for months. Claudio's work helps me remember why I enjoy this pastime.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jon S, If I understand you correctly you are suggesting no second series serial number (HAL over pistols) has been found below 200?? My data base lowest is #293.

The highest serial number gun on my data base is #2472, an almost 9 pound Diamond Quality model 275 ejector gun with 32" barrels. If what you are suggesting is true (no reason to doubt it) that might have been among the last of the SxS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback,
Yup, I believe that if you find a Lindner made gun with a serial # of less than 200 it will be a large Damascus barreled hammergun made in the early 1870's. I'm told that someone on this forum reported #243 several years. We would have to see the gun to assign a year to it.

With respect to #2472, I actually own that gun and a magnificent beast it is! Amazing engraving. The latest number of a gun that I own is #2517, a SBT Diamond Sextuplet. Nobody knows the number of the last Lindner made but I would wager it is a SBT put together from parts during the war or shortly there after.
I have seen (but stupidly did not record) a Daly SBT with HAL over crossed pistols with a 26xx serial number PLUS another 5 digit #! Sauer? Schiller?

Page 7 of 33 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.