March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 33 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 32 33
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
I enjoy your posts on this Lindner more than any others on the BBS at this time! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Me too. Down with politics. Political disagreements here make folks with a common interest who ought to be friends into enemies who despise each other...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not logged into the board in a long while and just read this entire thread. This is a wonderful thread and very informative. Well done on all accounts! I am excited to see more progress updates as well as the finished product.

Scott

Sidelock
Sidelock

May I inquire as to the stain that Claudio used.... alkanet based?
Thank you!
Best regards,
JBP

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes sir... good old red root dye

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice work, CJO. This thread harkens back to the good o days of DGS. Its a pleasure to follow a thread like this. Thanks fellas.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Seeing as none of us can go to the movies, I thought I would do the DG version of "Coming Soon!".

While lots of great work has been documented here to date, we still have to cover the repair of the broken ejector rod and the work to get the ejectors working and timed properly, the repair of the leaf spring noted earlier, all of the barrel work including relaying the ribs, dent removal and bluing, application of the slacum finish (that will be like watching paint dry laugh ) and a myriad of other little details that need attention.

One thing is clear. While the major finishes (barrels and wood) are important in the appearance of the finished product, it is the minute attention to detail at first not obvious that separates a good restoration from a great one. Hopefully we are watching a great one unfold here.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well we have a little surprise today. This is an example of why I like to work with Claudio.

You will recall that over a week ago, I did a few posts detailing the finishing of the forend, in particular the replacement horn tip. The forend, propped up against the peg board wall by Claudio's bench, was deemed complete and ready for finishing.

However, every time time I spoke to him this past week, he would mention the forend. Something was nagging at Claudio and he couldn't quite put his finger on it. Today I got the following update in his own words:

"Gazing at the forend horn tip in front of me, something didn't sit right. I couldn't put my finger on it but something about the shape and curve was off.....The more I looked the more it bothered me. Then I saw it! The original chequering was uneven and the wood curvature was slightly different from left to right as the latch was not perfectly centred. So this curve carried onto the forend horn tip. So I reworked/shaped the horn tip so as to be more pleasing to the eye. Now it's not bothering me as much......"

So Claudio spent some time revisiting that "finished" forend and getting it right.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

CB,
Great craftsmanship, and a good eye for perfection!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

A beautiful job of polishing that tip. Horn?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yup, it's horn.

Page 11 of 33 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.