April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Karl Graebner, Lloyd3, AWOLF, graybeardtmm3, Argo44, 1 invisible), 831 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 33 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 32 33
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, when I last posted here Claudio had been working away on getting the wood back into shape. Today we are going to cover a completely different type of work....the ejectors. Although the first bit to see is that hallmark of Lindner...the little cats eyes screws on either side of the forend so there is a bit of wood involved. Then we move onto pure metal work.

So as we find so often on these old guns, it seems that someone who shouldn't got a hold of a screw driver and went to work:

A bit of overzealous inletting meant a sliver of wood needed to be inserted. You can see the repair if you look closely at the finished picture. Lower left of the cats eye. Claudio ended up having to make one new screw and time the other properly. An interesting note, the two screws are of different size to ensure they are not mixed up. At some later point he will properly engrave the head of the new screw.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/09/20 09:14 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Next come the ejector rods. You may recall that I discovered one of the rods was broken despite assurances from the seller that all was well. And that as a result I received a partial refund designed to cover the cost of repair. Thank God!!!! LOL

This is what arrived:

A little laser welding:

Followed by a lot of careful hand shaping:

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now the rest of this ejector work is the kind of thing that I think (after much experience) put people like my friend Ted off messing around with vintage guns. I'm not there yet. LOL

So as Claudio was inspecting the rest of the ejector system, other issues that needed to be addressed with this kind of restoration became apparent. I'm sure some was caused by the use of the gun after the rod was broken, some by other ways and some just by age and normal wear and tear.

First the ejector body (is that the correct term?) needed some attention. Looking closely, a number of stress cracks were discovered. Additionally Claudio felt the whole unit had been hardeded to the point of being a tad brittle. So some judicious spot annealing was done.

A little attention again with the laser welder and voila!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now we turn to the ejector hammers. Clearly the right side has suffered damage:

But, a bit of welding, a bit of stoning and a bit of polishing can work wonders:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Really enjoying this post. Thank you. The craftsmanship is phenomenal!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now we can see the damage that the right ejector sear has suffered, twisted and ground off. It's quite messed up:

First the damaged piece gets heated and buried to anneal:

It's now pretty soft but once polished a number of stress fractures reveal themselves:

Sidelock
Sidelock

amazing!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now a decision has to be made. Can we go ahead with this part as it is or are those stress cracks a significant problem. For both Claudio and me, it's an easy one to make. The part must be replaced. So Claudio corrected the shape of the original, faulty piece to create a template for the crafting of the new piece.

As he was getting things ready to make the new piece Claudio notices that while the ejector sear spring on his personal Lindner Daly Featherweight is one piece, the sear spring on this Diamond Quality is two piece:

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now I am quoting Claudio directly.

"To make the new sear I used 01, didn't have any 1" rod so I centred a square piece big enough to get the diameter required to a slave bar and turned it on the lathe."

Last edited by canvasback; 05/09/20 10:19 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

More from Claudio:

" Got rid of the inside sharp radius on the new part...no need for that, so I dare say this new part will probably be more durable than the original."

The hammer "bend" was damaged as well and needed correction:

The new part will need additional fitting but it is close enough for now. More to come! laugh

Last edited by canvasback; 05/09/20 10:26 AM.

Page 12 of 33 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.