March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

Dean Harris of Skeet's Gun Shop in Tahlequah, OK has a different method of moving patterns to point of aim. He uses a Cratex bob on a long mandrel to reach from the muzzle back to the "transition area", as he calls it, where the bore first begins to constrict into the choke area. He removes metal there, in his own manner, and shoots. This is continued until the pattern has been moved the needed amount, if possible. He has had some phenomenal results.

He has a Sterly 20 of mine right now. One barrel was cross firing badly ............ very badly.

SRH

Dean is as good as they come and is a master with barrels. Besides that, he is friendly and will spend polite time with you discussing what you want accomplished. Strongly recommend.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
Thanks Coosa,

What you have written it similar to my thinking.

What options do you have if you have used some method to shift the point of impact and now have a problem pattern? What then can be done to correct the pattern?

Well, I am no gunsmith, just someone who has tinkered with a few guns to try to make them usable. The only thing I have done is to remove the choke tube and start over with a new one. I have several chokes that were filed and I was unhappy with pattern so they are just discarded.

I would do this on a fixed choke gun only as a last resort. I have a cheap Spanish gun that I have mentioned before on here. It cross fired so badly that you could put a can 30 yds away and wouldn't touch it with either barrel. The left barrel would put every pellet to the right of the target, and the right barrel would put every pellet to the left. It was made in the 60s and still looked new when I got it. I suspect that more than one owner got very frustrated with it.

There was nothing to lose by filing it. I found that it didn't take much filing at all to center my heavy turkey loads, and the patterns were still pretty good. Now note that while it now centers a 1.625 oz tss, it will still cross fire field loads. Still, I enjoyed taking a very flawed gun and making it useful. It's my backup turkey gun and has taken a few birds over the years. The Yildiz throws a better pattern so it is my primary gun.

I realize that it would be foolish to attempt this on a quality gun with fixed chokes. But on a cheap guns like this one, trying to fix it yourself is a reasonable option. Sending it to Stan's gunsmith to regulate the barrels would likely cost more than the gun is worth.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.