April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (Hugh Lomas, FallCreekFan, ChiefC, Ian Forrester, 3 invisible), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,008
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most anything can be bought on eBay cheaper than other retailers. I buy there often, but one must be very cautious as to quality. If it says Made in the USA it's probably good quality. If not, it may be questionable. Sometimes it's a crapshoot.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with James's suggestion. He should probably be thought of as a national treasure.

I do have one caveat, not all screw slots have parallel sides some are tapered. I've seen this on more than one high end German gun. I have a theory on how this was done but I'm not for sure so I'll keep my thoughts to my self. My point is don't assume anything. I've modified a few old wood handled Grace screwdrivers just for that purpose. BTW, I love wood handles they just feel better than plastic.

One other passing thought on screw slots, CJO and I were perusing the fine shotguns at the Southern a few years back and he said "look at this!" a Rizzini R1 (I think) had the narrowest screw slots I've ever seen. I have no idea how they assembled the gun tightened and timed the screws!

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
The slots that are tapered are filed rather than sawed. My German gunsmith friend, Walter Grass, usually sawed the slots, but every once in a while he would file one. Now I wish I had asked him why. At the time, I thought it was for those small wood screws that wind up much thinner on one side than the other( in trigger guards, etc). I may have been wrong.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have cut screw slots using a clockmaker's file, which I bought from Brownell's some 25 years ago. It cuts parallel slots though, not tapered, but narrow. I guess I could make it cut a tapered slot, if I had any need for such, which I don't. That is one unique little file. It will bend in a gentle curve if needed.

I see they do not sell them anymore. I'd better guard mine carefully.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
A favorite file is like a member of the family.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The kind words about me are appreciated.

There are still screw slotting files available as I have seen them on line. I bought some at Friedrich Dick's in Deizisau, Germany many years ago. Grobet still makes them.

That said, the finer they are, the easier they break. They must be used in a holder. They are also expensive. However, if you want a tapered slot, nothing else will do.

It is best to anneal the head before you start or you will ruin the file. Start the slot with a with a fine jeweler's saw, or a hack saw blade with the kerf ground off, then finish up with the clockmaker's file.

The idea of a tapered slot is similar to a taper shank drill. The possibility of a tight fit is easier than parallel sides.

James

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great stuff. Thanks to everyone who participated. Made my Covid 19 day bearable!

[IMG]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.