March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Cold1, CJF, Jimmy W, Hugh Lomas, AZMike, 1 invisible), 602 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Who told you that a Darne is harder to stock than either a sidelock or a boxlock? In reality, a Darne is just different than stocking either a boxlock or sidelock. Thats all. There is way more to properly stocking a traditional actioned gun than a Darne. A lot more precise inletting to be done on both a boxlock and a sidelock thats for sure.
Ted had his Darne restocked in France basically while he waited for it. That aint happening with either a boxlock or sidelock, even by the very best and fastest stockers in the world.

IMHO, the best stocker on this side of the pond is Paul Hodgins. Hands down. One could argue that Trevallion should be on the list too, although I dont think hes doing any work anymore.
Ive personally stood right next to Paul as hes stocked some of the finest guns in the world. Its amazing to watch and learn from an absolute master of his craft.
One of the toughest challenges Ive seen Paul tackle over the years was the complete stocking of a small bore MacNaughton skeleton action. Unbelievable and it was such a challenge that he vowed never to do another one. He says that a lot btw...I think hed do another if the money was right. He said the same thing about the 3 or 4 Boss o/us that have come to the shop for stocking. He finishes them, cusses em, and then a few months later, another one will show up and hes right back at it. :-).

Theres some other extremely talented stock makers here in the states. No argument there. Theres some guys out there that can produce some very fine work indeed. I just have not seen anyones work that matches the level of skill Paul has. Ive seen some very well stocked guns by some pretty big names in the business that have come though the shop, back in the day, to my eye, the workmanship looked amazing! And then I get schooled on the very minor but at the same time significant details and intricacies that pass by the untrained eye (my eyes mostly). Its remarkable. Im very fortunate to have a friend that allows me (aka tolerates me) to hang out, observe and ask ridiculous questions while hes hacking away at some wood or making something out of metal. Its a real treat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Am following up on Carl's posts. Kirt Kimsey is re-doing the checkering on a falling block Rigby (Webley 1902 patent) that was rebarreled. The .375 flanged magnum barrel forend was damaged in travel to Namibia last year. Trained by Bill Schwarz, Kirt sounds like he knows what's what. I'll post pix once the work is done.

Bill and Ellis Sawyer are collaborating on removing, to the extent possible, remains of pitting and color case hardening the action.

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin,
Keep in mind the wood monger had a machine that supplied the everyday blanks as pretty close rough turned, and ready for the stocker to go on. A Darne isnt that hard to stock, but, those guys had every shortcut that was possible figured out.
The lathe that was jigged up to bore the big hole from the front was a big deal.

Really fancy blanks came in as a big rectangular blank, and were more work by far.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am NO EXPERT, having said that, I was going on what I was told. I stand corrected.
I mention Kirt simply because he is young, he is eager to please, he has talent, you don't have to wait forever and his rates are fair. He has done four guns for me, two were box locks and two Darne's. As Tim mentioned above, Bill works with Kirt and that's how I found him.
There are many very talented people out there and I'm in no way demeaning their work. Kirts just another resource.
Carl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't believe in leaving things up in the air. I talked to Kirt because I know he knows Paul. He said that without a doubt, Paul is the best there is.. period.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Del Whitman in Lake Ann Michigan. May consider a drive up to talk with him. Spend the night and shout some clays at Cedar or Manton.

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Del Whitman has done work for me in the past, outstanding craftsman!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis Earl Smith (The Stock Doctor) restocked a Boss for me and did a wonderful job.

al Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Will you provide contact info for Mr. Kimsey?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kirt Kimsey 706 994-7508
kirtkimsey@yahoo.com

Regards, Tim

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.