March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

IN MY 10 LB SCOTT EXCELLENTIA 10 GA, I USE SMOKELESS, I USE 24 GR GREENDOT WITH 1 1/4 SHOT AND IT IS A NICE FUN LOAD FOR TARGETS OR GAME

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your insight and kind words in your post. I have shot killed more game, won more SxS events with the short 10 than anything else. I wish more people would give it a try and forget about the old wives tales of being too heavy and too much recoil. Long live the 10 gauge!

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I whole heartedly agree! Grow a pair and try the short 10. It was certainly good enough for Bogardus and its definitely good enough for me! I hope that someday people will get past the idea that the 16,20, or 28 are somehow superior to everything else in existence. Although I own many of those gauges and enjoy shooting them, there is nothing...absolutely nothing that comes close to the 10!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have "a pair", thank you.

Why do you think that "people" think that "the 16, 20, and the 28 are superior"?

I'm good with you loving you some short ten. But, take it easy on those who don't buy into worshipping at the short 10 altar.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan, the original intention of the post was not to "offend" anyone's sensibilities but to simply offer an alternative to the everyday chatter. We have all heard a million times that a 16 throws a perfect "square load" so it must be the greatest thing since sliced bread. We have also heard that the 28 is somehow magical in its own right. And lastly, we have heard over and over that a 20 will do everything a 12 will do. Well...that is just not so! The short 10 barely gets a mention so this post was meant to give folks a chance to ponder an alternative to the status quo and hopefully try it out for themselves.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have tried that load and it works well, especially in my Charles Daly. I also use the reduced red dot load of 19.0 grains and 1 1/8 ounce of shot regularly for birds and clays.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No offense taken by me, but thanks for explaining. No problem with favoring one thing over another. Variety is the spice of life, they say. I just can't reason why someone would want to shoot clays with a 10 ga.

I have many doubleguns in .410, 28, 20, 16 and 12, and I use all those gauges. I choose the gauge and load that fits the situation best, which is why I no longer own a 10 ga., either short or long chambered. I have a lifetime of experience hunting game of all sizes with shotguns, from deer down to doves. IME the short ten was no advantage to me at all, and big and slow.

As I mentioned, I'm glad you enjoy them and are, obviously, enthusiastic about it. Just thought the comment about growing a pair was a little much, unless you really believe carrying and shooting a big bore gun is somehow macho.

I've probably had too much to say about it anyway, so I'm done. (I think I hear a collective "Whew!").

Happy Memorial Day weekend, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a client back in the "old days" at MW Reynolds who owned a Thomas Turner BLE in short 10. The gun was as light or lighter than most 12s. He called it his "snake" gun because the entire length to the tubes and action were stippled in an effort to eliminate any reflection (his and my supposition). The only 10 I've ever lusted after so fiercely.

I must confess to falling for the macho effect of the big 10 for a few years. Talk about being beaten like a red-headed stepchild, 3 1/2-inch magnum shells in a 9 1/2-lb BLNE. Very few people (other than stupid me) ever shot it more than once. I'm lucky I didn't get detached retinas(!). It did work well on big ducks and geese, however. I had opened the chokes so it could shoot relatively-inexpensive steel and it finally shot itself loose after a few seasons of digesting the only commercially available shells I could find up in nowhere Minnesota, the ones with 1540 fps velocities at the muzzle. With those shells, it sounded more like a rifle than a shotgun when you uncorked it.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/24/20 02:45 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another reason I like the short 10 is that they generally cost less money on the open market and at auction. I usually shoot 12 gauge inserts at clays but at least once during a round of skeet or sporting clays I will throw in a black powder 10 gauge round and it scares the hell out of everyone! Good times indeed.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have dozens, maybe a few less, of tens, maybe a few average tens, maybe a few really lightweights, maybe a few heavyweights, but all good guns to shoot. The big problem with tens is how to load for them or how to deal with RST to get shells. I will post about how to deal with that, but hold on.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.