March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ian Forrester, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, steve voss), 809 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is something unusual about this rifle that sets it apart, can you spot what it is?

375 Mauser

Sidelock
Sidelock

Square Bridge rear,,Can't see the front ring well enough to make out if it;s a double square bridge.

Straddle floor plate.
Possibly a Magnum length Mauser action(?)
The real Magnum length action, not just a standard action with the mag box cut & lengthened and the feed ramp cut back to make room for the extra length of the cartridge.
The extractor and ejection port look extra long to me,,at least the pics make it so.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

you nailed it

Sidelock
Sidelock

38 close-ups that show almost nothing of the rifle. Maybe xausa will show one action pic when he gets the gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The drop box magazine makes it look like Xausa got a good deal. Good for him.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first thing that caught my eye was the Oberndorf Mauser inscription on the left side of the action. Then details like the location of the stock reinforcing screw, the straddle magazine box cover and last but not least, the square bridge (very hard to make out) came to light.

I was able to look up the length of the scope and gradually enlarge the photo of it and the action until the image on the screen matched the actual length of the scope. Then I was able to measure the length of the action, which proved to be over 9". A Magnum Mauser action is 9.150" long.

What remains a mystery is the absence of markings on the receiver ring, such as serial number and proof marks. However, the serial number was repeated on the bottom of the action behind the recoil lug, revealing it to be in the 90 thousand range. According to Jon Speed's authoritative book, that dates it in the years 1924-25. Jon lists two Magnum rifles sold in that time frame, both in caliber .280 Ross, which could very well have been the original caliber of the rifle this action came from.

As I had hoped, the muzzle brake was easy to remove. However, with it removed the barrel length is only 21.5" to the face of the bolt. .375 H&H Magnum brass chambered easily and the action feeds empty cases flawlessly. However, firing a reduced load revealed that the chamber is for a .375 AI, which means either resizing the cases to standard H&H after each firing or acquiring special dies.

All of this points to a new barrel, which I have already commissioned. At the same time, I will have the bolt handle replaced with one which looks appropriate and does not have a knurled knob, which is hard on my index finger when I use it to cycle the action. Add a banded ramp and Sourdough patridge front sight and a fresh low glare blue job, and the rifle meets virtually all my expectations. The white line pad will need to be replaced with a Silvers, with possibly a spacer to adjust the length of pull.

A discussion with Dennis Earl Smith, who once ran Fajen's custom shop, reinforced my surmise that the stock was a product of Bishop's custom shop. He gave me a list of names which reflect possible stockmakers. The inletting is so precise that it looks like the proverbial glass bedding job.

The design of the stock, the Tilden scope mount and the vintage of the scope all point to the late '60's as a probable date for the build.

Credit goes to Physdoc, who spotted this mislabeled diamond in the rough and called my attention to it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since you are rebarreling, will go with .375 HH? And, will you hunt with it?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The stock looks to me to be the work of Monty Kennedy.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

That was one heck of a buy. I doubt you could touch the action alone for that if it were correctly identified as a magnum action from the 1920s. And with a high quality stock to boot. Congratulations!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Since you are rebarreling, will go with .375 HH? And, will you hunt with it?

I do plan on rebarreling to .375 H&H. However, unless my numerous ailments are miraculously cured, I probably will never have a chance to hunt with it, although I might conceivably take a deer with it from my ground blind. I like to think of someone else profiting from my alterations. It gives me something to do in these troubled times.

In a way, it allows me to make a statement: "This is the way I think I hunting rifle should look and handle."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.