April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 410 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here in the Texas Panhandle the cases continue to increase. We have several meat packing plants that are a magnet for the virus. Currently the death rate is 1.3% but climbing. Now that the state has partially opened for business I see a large number of people going about life as though nothing has happened. Few masks, less social distancing, and larger groups together. IMO the infection rate is going to increase rapidly now. On the flip side we must reopen the economy ASAP or will find ourselves in a financial hole we can never climb out of. Damned if you do, damned if you dont!

I know this, at my age of 78 and with mild heart disease we are going to continue with our limited self quarantining. Let the youngsters build the herd immunity.....at their own peril but respect our need to avoid contact.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said Joe.
There is a big difference in the "numbers' for upper age groups. And it is one thing each can affect.

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its easy to find credible information that suggests the infection rate is understated and the death rate is overstated. Very easy.

When its all said and done we will have a death rate under .5% and the vast majority will be over 60 with pre existing conditions.

Just as it was for the pandemic of 1958 and the pandemic of 1968 when over a million people died each time.

The big difference today is two fold. We start with a virus that spreads faster that our medical experts are used to, so they are unusually alarmed. And we have a pervasive, alarmist media who have been pounding the table for 40 years that nothing is too great a sacrifice if it saves just one life.

What follows is a clusterf**k of misinformation and misrepresentation. Hidden in all the crap is the real info but its hard to discern.

Once you plant your flag, its hard to climb down the hill.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/12/20 11:04 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
In NYC, it is believed that there are more deaths from CV19 than recorded. This belief is based on deaths from all causes in the same period of time in prior years compared with deaths during March and April of this year. Take note of the "excess death" graphs illustrating deaths from all causes and the spikes above the past years.
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

NYT published CDC numbers that said just the opposite for the 4 weeks from mid March to mid April.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Numbers have to be quantified. "Death rate" can be stated as being number of deaths per number tested as positive, or it can be stated as number of deaths per total population. Obviously, BrentD is talking about the former, not the latter, as there are estimated to be over 330,149,000 people in the USA. Death rate in our total population would be 82,000 divided by 330,149,000, or .000248.

Watch the scales on the graphs they show. Bar graphs can be manipulated to be misleading, if you don't look closely at the scales.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can only give the U.K. perspective here but will come in anyway. Seasonal influenza annually accounts for around 10,000 deaths here per year. That is despite the fact that flu vaccine is free to anyone over 65 or who have certain illnesses such as diabetes and also to children as they are considered as 'super spreaders' (snotty nosed little beggars in other words). Anyone else can have the injection for around 10. Currently Covid deaths are around 32,000 here so only about three times as high with no vaccine yet available.

Dark skinned minority groups are significantly more vulnerable; and we have a high population that fall into this category. Now, I have a theory; well a couple really. Dark skin is a product of evolving in lower latitudes to prevent over exposure to Ultra Violet light. UV light is necessary in order for the body to produce Vitamin D which boosts the immune system. Hence higher latitude people have lighter skins in order to be able to assimilate the UV light to make Vitamin D. Not good for dark skin therefore in high latitudes.

Theory two. Northern Europeans interbred with the Neanderthal races that had happily evolved there for some considerable time. Northern Europeans have; I believe, something like 2 to 4 per cent Neanderthal DNA. This might just give an edge. Interesting the comment about the vulnerability of Native Americans as of course they never encountered Neanderthals.

Well, you read it here first folks! Not exactly scientific as I am just a simple country lad but I would be very interested if these two factors are not further examined. Lagopus..

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are 22 residents of a local nursing home that have tested positive. None are seriously ill, and these are supposed to be the most vulnerable of our population. Facts like this just don't add up to the numbers of deaths reported to be a direct result of CV19.

If it smells bad, and flies are buzzing 'round it, it probably is.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I place 100% of the blame in NY on the governors door step. Few know he made an executive order early in this out break that forced nursing homes to accept Civid19 positive patients as they were discharged from hospitals. In effect he was forcing nursing homes to accept some of the sickest people and integrate them into a population that was at the highest risk without regard to their ability to isolate them from the general population. This was a direct cause of thousands of deaths. Thousands. If Trump had ordered this the outrage from the press would be devastating. But there is none in the MSM. Go figure.

By the way if you wonder where I got my information from it is directly from my sister in law who is a Dr at a hospital in NYC. She watched hundreds of patients being discharged and sent to four different area nursing homes. Not surprising all four were hot spots. Hundreds died. The Governor thought was to keep beds open in Hospitals even if his actions opened up beds even in nursing homes because of deaths in them. He just rescinded his directive this week.

Last edited by KY Jon; 05/12/20 09:27 AM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Canvasback: I don't know if it's that easy to arrive at your conclusion (because of the bewildering amounts of conflicting data being spewed by the political pundits and their sycophantic media), but it does seem to me that many more people have already had this infection and gotten over it without much inconvenience. Current testing result trends seem to confirm this. Without more hard data that is difficult to prove, however. "Testing and tracing!" seems to be the war-cry of the folks on the left these days and they seem to use it in order to justify the continuing shut-down of the economy. I suspect their motives....

We (the United States) clearly had to close our borders (at first for flights from China, and then later from Europe) and shut-down our country because we simply didn't know what we were up against (thank the ChiComs for that one!). We clearly didn't want to become the tragedy that was Italy in February/March. We seem to know a lot more about the infection now and it also seems clear (at least to me) that we must get on with it here or we'll do irreparable damage to our country. I have been told that the median age for fatalities from this infection is eighty (80), I have also heard (from a credible source) that almost half of the recorded deaths have come from nursing homes. Given that, I know that I'm more than willing to climb back on a plane and go back to work, (even though I'm now at an age were I am at some increased risk). I don't mind being asked to wear a mask and to be socially distant, and I will comply...but I deeply resent being told to do so by petty tyrants. How this will all play out is hard to predict.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/12/20 11:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd3, It sounds as if you're willing to observe reasonable precautions if a Republican leader asked you to. Otherwise it would be an unacceptable order from a petty tyrant. The general sense I get now is that premature opening is asking for another big hit. I agree, of course, that economic damage can be as deadly in the long run.

Bill Ferguson
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.