May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (steve f, Mike Harrell), 810 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
joekski Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and vintage doubles.

I'm looking at a Beesley 12 gauge ejector sidelock. Overall it's in nice shape except for one thing, there's a deep gouge close to the muzzle and what looks like a crack or two several inches from the muzzle. The cracks and gouge are perpendicular to the bore (they go around the bore). The cracks aren't very big, maybe 1/6 the circumference of the bore; the gouge may be 3/8" long. Also, one of the cracks is by the ribs (partially between the upper and lower). The cracks are far enough down the bore where I can’t get a good eye on them (maybe they aren't really cracks?). The gouge I can clearly see.  The rest of the bores look fine.

It’s originally a London proof, and then reproofed in Birmingham in 1984. Proof is .729, measured .729 for both. There are .023 & .025. 

I can't see any dings, dents, or bulges on the barrels. They also look like they were blackened recently.

Serial is mid-1900's, putting it I believe in the 1910's year.
Barrels are steel (not Damascus).

Is this an issue? Could it be a problem in the future? Maybe just machine marks if the chokes were opened up? I know that the pressure gets pretty low out that far.

I'm thinking of getting an endoscope to take a better look.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like tool marks from a poor quality choke job. If that is the case they can likely be polished out fine along as the cutting was done concentric to the bore.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree

Sidelock
Sidelock

The two gents above are well known for knowing! I don't propose to add anything to their opinions. From a slightly differing point of view, I'd suggest you get the barrels in the hands of one of the above or someone with similar knowledge. IF the notorious "something" should go wrong, it could be expensive and could alter drastically the resale value of the gun, even after a proper repair.

DDA

Boxlock
Boxlock

The 19XX serial numbers began in late 1904 and ended in 1907 more or less. If you PM me the serial number I can look your sidelock up in the Beesley Ledger for you so you can have some provenance and perhaps some commentary. I have an article deadline right now but I will get to it.

Last edited by Niemann; 02/03/21 05:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the ".023 & .025" wall thickness or choke constriction?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the crack visible on the outside of the barrel or on the inside of the bore?

I have a crack on an early English damascus gun about 10" from the breech that might be 1/16" long, near the rib and runs vertically on the outside of the barrel. I've about decided it's not a crack all the way through but a small welding defect. Pretty well disregard it. But I shoot very low pressured loads-less than 6,500 psi in all my guns so pressures at that location are pretty low. Yours near the muzzle would be a non event unless it goes all the way through into the bore. Even in that case the danger would be minimal (IMO).

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.