April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (grendel, GeorgeGibbs505), 259 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L. Brown #573435 06/07/20 11:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
That was the time period when the Spanish were sending us quite a few doubles that were made to a price point.
--- snip ---

The term price point is just the price at which a seller/buyer hopes his counter party buyer/seller will agree to a commercial exchange. All shotguns, Spanish or otherwise, are made to some price point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

French Double,

Artisanal Spanish shotguns, such as your Martin Ugarteburu (makers mark MU), are purpose made shotguns intended for some fairly narrow kind of use. This kind of use is generally described as falling somewhere on a continuum that runs from light game gun (carried much, shot little), through medium game gun (carried little, shot much), to heavy completion gun (not carried, shot continually).

Your MU, judging from your description, is most likely (but not certainly) built as a medium game gun. If you are running shells through it fast enough to get it really hot, you are using it as if it were a heavy completion gun. Thats going to cause problems, and wear the gun out pretty quickly. Think of it as using your putter at the driving range; thats a fair analogy.

Hope this helps get a handle on what is happening, and likely why.

Kyrie

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: French Double
Your initial comments, Ted are pretty much on track. Your knowledge of such things is obviously greater than mine. But, how would using the wrong length ammo cause this problem if the gun fires and extracts the wrong length ammo with no issues when doing more normally paced shooting. I do plan to order some of the RST ammo that Skeettx pointed out to see how that works out. This gun has the BP over oval on shield proof mark indicating "Reinforced smokeless proof for shotgun barrels, pressure of 12,090 psi" (from appendix 3 in "Spanish Best", 2nd edition by Wieland). Barrel flats are marked F1 which should be 1960 manufacture. All comments are much appreciated.

You are firing the wrong length case (long) in a short chamber gun. Successful firing and extraction is not the issue, the higher pressure, and resulting heat developed in the short chamber is. The pressure marked on the flats was the PROOF pressure the gun saw at the proof house, NOT the pressure the gun is supposed to be exposed to on a regular basis. The ammunition you run should ideally develop perhaps no more than 75% of that level. An occasional blast near proof wont be an issue, most of us wont live long enough to do any damage, but, sustained use will. Pressure developed is not only a factor of the weight of the charge, and velocity, but, the quality and type of components used, in particular, powder. Powders that consistently develop lower pressure at the same velocity cost more money. Bargain promotional loads are often some of the worst offenders.
Id be willing to bet the payload in European 2 1/2 ammunition of the same era of this gun was smaller, and the load pressure was more conservative than what you can get here, now, in the US.
Again, firing and extraction, is neither here nor there. Have you inspected your spent case, keeping an eye open for pierced primers, flattened primers, ripped case mouths, or, perhaps, extractor marks in the base?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I collect Spanish shotguns, and have a few that were made by Martin Ugarteburu. Let's see if I can do some photos. If this works it should provide a link to some photos of three MU shotguns; a model 114, a model 115, and a model 125:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ruljz8k0z1bfmwk/AABJE1y_GakASElMLKs5ezbga?dl=0

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes Feu Portatives standards were adopted in 1969, but I don't know when Spain became a signatory.
The CIP transducer Maximal Statistical Individual Pressure is 850 BAR = 12,328 PSI for a Maximal Average (Service) Pressure of 740 BAR = 10,733 PSI, and Mean Proof Pressure of 930 BAR = 13,924 PSI.

In Bell's study, the pressure increase of one 2 3/4" 12g load in a 2 1/2" short cone chamber was 1200 psi - it would likely be higher in a 28g

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My plan is to order appropriate ammo from RST, assuming no serious complications from the storm that is in the process of knocking at my door.
My MU is a significantly lower grade than the ones that Kyrie showed us the but engraving and checkering all seem to be hand done. Some minor overruns, etc.
Once again, I'm learning more and more from you Folks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will you be reloading for the 2 1/2 inch ammo??
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had no issues with primers or cases. In fact I collected them for an acquaintance who reloaded them several times over. My using the wrong size shells was due to lack of knowledge and not paying enough attention, not a deliberate choice. One could say ignorance and/or stupidity. I'm oh so glad I started this thread!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ignorance is actually correctable. Stupidity is a whole different thing.

Welcome.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good point, I'll plead ignorance then. Which by the way, you folks have corrected on this matter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.