May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, steve f, 1 invisible), 977 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,619
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a 1978 Browning Catalog featuring their, new at the time, Browning Continental that stands as testament to how long I've wanted to get a double rifle. I am very much a bird and duck hunter but I do meat hunt for deer. I purposefully waited because, in my opinion, anticipation and long-term goals keep us mentally youthful and more interesting as people. Anyway, when I finally decided it was time I just couldn't come to grips with getting a Continental. I have a slim-waisted 20 gauge side-by-side that is my go-to bird gun and it's IC/M barrels are much more useful than the Continental's M/F barrels. Plus with most of the Continentals I would still have to get it fitted for sling studs and a scope rail. Then, I found a Browning Express with scope rails, swivel attachments, and, what I learned here, a cartridge carrier so I jumped at it.

I knew it was a roll of the dice to see how the barrels shot relative to each other but all I could do was plan to deal with what ever differences there were. My deer hunting is usually in the Southeast woods so I don't need a 200 yard rifle. The longest shot I've taken in memory is about 80 yards. Anyway, after shooting more than two dozen rounds through the "new" gun I found the lower barrel shooting about 1.2 inches left of the Over barrel at 100 yards. The windage differences are actually much better than I expected. The Under barrel, however, was averaging 2.8 inches lower at 100 yards - close to unacceptable. Then I put a 180 grain in the upper barrel. The elevation differences disappeared. Right now, it only has a 1.5-5x scope but if I load two 150 grain bullets I have a under barrel that shoots a tad low at 100 yards and an over barrel that shoots point-of-aim out to about 225. I'd never take a deer shot that far even with a higher mag scope but I did kill a 200 yard coyote last year and have a beaver that will need killing if I ever see him from the stand. With a 180 in the top and a 150 below I'm point of aim to about 125 yards with a choice of which bullet to start with.

Here's a 100-yard four-shot group that, from left to right, is under, over, under, over. I may still move it 3/4" to the right but I think I've got a 100 yard rifle that will kill a deer every time I do my part. BTW - I knew I pulled the first shot a tad and thought about starting over but more folks were showing up at the range so I just wanted to finish up and get out before they started shooting.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

looks like your ready for the fall. Nice grab, much better regulated than many I have heard of.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago I traded for Beretta Golden Sable 30-06 OU. It came with a low power Swarovski scope. I was a bit skeptical about how accurate it would be. I put together some 180 grain hand loads that I thought might work and was very surprised to shoot 2 1/2" centered four shot groups at 100 yards with relative ease. Never felt the need to do try anything different than that load!!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done
Thank you for sharing
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.