Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Rubberhead, when you say "big water", are referring to lakes Marion and Moultrie?

SRH

I don't mean to totally highjack Dave's threat but I'm trying to kill 27 of the 32 duck species hunting in South Carolina. I'm at 24 now. I'll have to travel (unless I'm very lucky) for the Fulvous Whistling Duck, King Eider, Cinnamon Teal and Barrow's Goldeneye. I'll have to travel for the Harlequin since they're illegal everywhere except 1 per year in Washington state and 4 per year in Alaska. I say all of this to say that I'm having to learn a lot of new areas (big and small) to get it done...here's my tote board...everything was taken in SC except for the Tundra Swan and Cackling Goose. I still need to take the blank spots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fun list Rh. Don't feel too bad if you don't quite get to that merganser. Except for the salt water divers, it looks like you might try a trip or three up and down east Texas.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's interesting Rh. I will hazard a guess that Dave won't be upset by your reply. I didn't realize how many of the 32 I've taken over the years until I looked over your list. Certainly not 24, but nearly half of the waterfowl species you showed.

You said 32 duck species, and geese aren't ducks, but I know what you meant and it is an admirable goal. I hope to see you post one day that you have completed it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Post away, Rubberhead. It's been a good thread and getting better.

Quick story, I shot a black duck when I was a senior in high school and mentioned it to an assistant football coach who I knew was an avid duck hunter. That Friday night I got a severe concussion in the 4th quarter of the game. I was pretty much out on my feet the rest of the way, and in the locker room after the game the assistant coach sat facing me on the bench asking me questions trying to bring me back. I couldn't remember a thing. The one that did it was, "Erickson, what kind of duck did you shoot Tuesday night?" At that moment my memory came rushing back in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A cool and impressive list, Rubberhead. Good luck with it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

You'll probably have to go to Florida for the tree ducks. The black-bellies we have nesting here in GA have all skedaddled south by the time duck season comes in. The Fulvous is quite rare here even in the summer when we are overcome with black-bellies. Lots of Fulvous in the Everglades though...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, not being a waterfowler, I didn't chime in. Just caught up with this topic. BSS would've been my #2 suggestion to you for a gun that will work for ducks and can also make a decent Sporting Clays sxs. My #1 suggestion is one that's seldom seen: Ithaca SKB Model 100 Magnum. Almost all the 12ga Ithaca SKB's were 2 3/4" guns (while all the 20's were 3" . . . go figure!) The 100 magnum was the exception. 30" barrels, 3" chambers, factory recoil pad. But you could look and look for one of those, while there are plenty of BSS 12's on the market. You done good. I favor lighter guns than that for toting in the uplands, but that could also be a good late season pheasant gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Larry, when I went to my shop to pick up the BSS there was a very high condition 12 gauge SKB 100 on the rack. It was a post Ithaca gun with a pistol grip/splinter stock like a SKB -150. It was quite tempting at $649. He said it’s been there for 3 weeks. Holmen Pawn Gun & Marine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, since you are here now, I have a question. Dave previously referred to his BSS’s 2-3/4” chambers. I thought all the BSS boxlocks came with 3” chambers. All four of mine are 3” and all that I have seen are 3”. I know a lot of the Miroku-branded guns are 2-3/4”, but what about the BSSs?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
You said 32 duck species, and geese aren't ducks, but I know what you meant and it is an admirable goal. I hope to see you post one day that you have completed it.

SRH

Right. I meant 32 duck species and I've killed 24. The tote board shows 40 species (32 ducks, 7 geese and 1 swan). Counting the geese I've killed 28 web-footed waterfowl in SC. The additional two Cackling Goose and Tundra swan I killed in ND and NC.

There is no generally accepted official count for the North American Waterfowl Slam like there is for big game but it's generally considered 32 duck species, 7 goose species, 1 swan and (go figure) 1 crane species for a total of 41. There's a facebook group called H41 - for Hunt the 41 species of waterfowl. I never thought the crane made much sense because it has a beak instead of a bill and doesn't have webbed feet.

There are some other species that can be taking in extremely regulated hunts like Emperor goose and trumpeter swan but these aren't counted.

The goose species are 1) Brant, 2) Cackling Goose, 3) Canada Goose, 4) White-fronted (specklebelly), 5) Ross' goose, 6) Blue Goose and 7) Snow goose. It's odd because Blue and Snow geese are accepted as a single species of lesser snow goose. There is larger subspecies of snow goose - the greater snow goose that I think should count over just the color variations but nobody asked me. haha.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.