March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ken Nelson, KY Jon, Jtplumb, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 819 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,027
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, I was a bit embarrassed to echo your comment, but here goes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no way of knowing, but I wouldn’t be surprised if revenue through circulation and advertising are both down and trending lower. I can understand cost cutting, and internet information affecting the publication. Purely a guess, but I suspect the DGJ is published as a passion that may not lend itself well to sustaining or passing the torch. Still, the best game in town.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’d publish Argo’s stuff if he paid me enough.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Quote:
I'll have to say that William Headrick's gun photography is excellent!
Karl

Bill continually bitched about Cote's printers crappy color separation.

For the best of Bill's work see the quality of his covers on The Accurate Rifle and Precision Shooting magazines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to admit it but I only renew year to year because I always think I might get burned if they go under, plus there is no discount to put your $$ at risk for a second year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark II
There might be more and different article if authors to paid to write articles.

I don't think any of us were paid, early on. I swapped articles for ad space in the magazine, through which I sold most of the hardback copies of the first edition of my pheasant book. Later on, Dan did pay me for some articles. Don't know what his policy is now. Haven't written anything for him in a long time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Mark II
There might be more and different article if authors to paid to write articles.

I don't think any of us were paid, early on. I swapped articles for ad space in the magazine, through which I sold most of the hardback copies of the first edition of my pheasant book. Later on, Dan did pay me for some articles. Don't know what his policy is now. Haven't written anything for him in a long time.

I did the same. The Cote’s were very fair to me. Years later, I got an email asking if I wanted to do a piece, text and photos, for another reader, but, never heard anything after that.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple comments: As fine as Headrick's photos were, his writing was impossibly bombastic. As for payment, I always felt I was adequately compensated. The whole operation has an amateurish feel. Why take up ten pages in every issue hawking back issues? More good articles might do more for the bottom line. But they do showcase the hardware we enjoy. Other publications only focus on our interests from time to time.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 06/25/20 04:11 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

As an enthusiastic collector of Remington SxS's and graded target shotguns I like Charles Semmers articles and photos.
I live too far from organized clubs and work too much to go to shows so the DGJ is a good source for info. I was given the years from start-up to Volume 22 needing only a few issues to complete. I found eBay and amazon was easy to find the missing ones many of them $5-$10 mailed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have authored a number of articles for the DGJ. I find it a very difficult challenge since I was not trained in journalism, which I am sure shows in my work. I write articles because it is a personal challenge and I enjoy sharing my research. I try to make my articles informational since I am a poor storyteller. For a hobbyist publication I think the article variety is generally good, there is normally something for everyone.
The best series in my opinion was Sherman Bell's Finding Out For Myself.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.