Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Appears to be sold already.
So much for the pad limiting saleability.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
How do you know Geo. that Parker Reproductions will not rise to collector status in the future? Some models are already considered collectible.

I don't believe there are "collectable" Japanese Parkers, just desirable shooters to some extent, some more so than others. The quality and execution of these guns is outstanding, but you have no way of proving they are collectable, especially by the use of the phrase "considered collectable". I have no way of proving there are no Parker Repro collectors out there, but I'm open to hearing about even one. Accumulators who shoot them, sure.

Nobody can predict the future, but the trend for these guns is toward nice shooters, and the market for them is mediocre at best. There could be an exception with some rare version in, say, a BHE .410 with 28" barrels that very few of which were made, but otherwise practically none in other gauges.

Trying to defend the need for originality to preserve value in these guns due to their desirable and high status as personal museum pieces is wasted time and effort.

I'm resting my case.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 07/18/20 10:39 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never worry about resale value on any of my guns. I only buy. I never sell. The pad on the gun in question would not deter me from buying it for one minute. If it affects the collector interest and I could get the gun for $500 less as a result, mores the better.

Pads are useful to me to help tame recoil or lengthen pull. If I buy a gun without a pad and the LOP is too short, I wouldn't hesitate to put a nice pad on it. But I do use the leather lace on pads a fair amount too. To each his own.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never understood the notion that a reproduction of something (Browning model 12, Parker reproduction) would eventually be collectible in and of itself. It seems to me that anything marketed as collectable , really isnt. I cant wrap my head around the idea that ANYTHING built in the Far East, at least since the Ming dynasty, is collectable.
That said, people collect strange things.

If someone here bought the gun, do use it in good health. Hard to believe those Parker reproduction have been around long enough to be re-case colored.

Best.
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It didn't take them long to NEED re-case coloring...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't look at Parker Reproductions as something made in Japan in the same light as many other products that came out of Japan. After all, weren't they designed by an American born in the U.S.A.? Weren't they the brainchild of an American born in the U.S.A.? Weren't they built by an American company headquartered in the U.S.A. (albeit utilizing a production facility located in Japan)? Wasn't the stock wood supplied by an American company located in the U.S.A.? Weren't they marketed by an American company located in the U.S.A.? Weren't they sold through a network of American dealers located in the U.S.A.?

Furthermore, Parker Reproduction cases were made in Italy and the snap caps were made in England.

If anything, given the U.S.A., Japan, Italy and England connections, Parker Reproductions was/is an international endeavor with worldwide reaching proportions to be enjoyed and collected by many generations yet to come . . . and they're here for us right now.

Just because YOU don't understand how something can be considered collectable, doesn't mean they don't exist. There are all kinds of collectors in this big wide world we live in. There are collectors of women's panties found on clotheslines, there are collectors of Japanese swords, there are collectors of Parker Bros. guns and yes, there are collectors of Parker Reproductions -- lots of 'em!

I know of at least one Parker Reproduction collector (known as an accumulator in some circles wink ) that would be very interested in finding:
* Just one example of a .410 on a 00-frame in any grade (a single gun -- not one that is part of a 28/.410 bi-gauge set).
* Just one example of any 20 or 28-ga. w/28" bbls. factory choked IC/M in any grade.
* Just one example of a 12-ga. w/28" bbls. that is factory choked Q1/Q2 in any grade.
* Any Sporting Clays Classic model with a straight grip, splinter forend and double triggers (beyond the two known to exist).

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

By all means, collect what you will. I already noted that people collect all sorts of strange things. I know where there is a 120 year collection of medical volumes on the single subject of bullet wound pathology.
It isnt at my house.
I probably should mention that I don't consider original Parker shotguns to be anything special, not since a European gunsmith had one apart on his bench and wondered aloud about what is all this stuff that is in here for? I couldnt honestly disagree with his assessment.

I think Mr. Roberts came down solidly in the reality of the whole picture.

Reality is a good place to be when making purchasing decisions.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is it about the subject gun that several posters to this thread claim this gun has been re-case color hardened?

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is it about the subject gun that several posters to this thread claim this gun has been re-case color hardened?

Really? It's glaringly obvious to anyone who knows Parker Repros and case coloring. This gun has gorgeous cc, whereas the factory cc on PR's, not so much. Dang...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 07/19/20 10:14 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts

Really? It's glaringly obvious to anyone who knows Parker Repros and case coloring. This gun has gorgeous cc, whereas the factory cc on PR's, not so much. Dang...
JR

Are you absolutely 100% sure that it was re-case color hardened?

No one here is arguing the colors on this subject gun aren't gorgeous.

The seller claims this A-1 Special is one of the custom engraved guns, yet it appears to be adorned with the standard engraving pattern of the factory-engraved A-1 Specials. But, for the sake of discussion, let's assume the seller is correct in that it was custom engraved. Custom Engraved A-1 Specials came into the Middlesex, NJ custom shop for Gournet or possibly others to engrave, one can assume these guns were in-the-white (not to be confused with the Galazan liquidated in-the-white A-1 Specials) and thus were not case colored until after they were custom engraved. If that's the case, this gun may have its original case color finish--and not re-case color hardened, eh?

I have a Parker Reproduction brochure that features the A-1 Specials and it states within the brochure "The frame is case hardened using the same methods as original Parkers..." Granted, those words do not say bone charcoal, but we do know that original Parkers utilized the bone charcoal process.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.