March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (playing hooky, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I've hunted over a few reconditioned wood decoys, but never have had a full rig of them. One sunk.

Taking valuable antique duck decoys hunting is about like using a Cadillac Escalade for a woods truck. Too much depreciation...Geo

I use a pigeon grade model 42 as my first choice for dove and most sporting clay shooting. It is still high condition but not mint. So I understand about depreciation by using it. Not as extravagant as your example but close to many. But I dont abuse it and bought it to shout. Not sit in some safe as a safe queen. This one is real but I know that there are many that are nit. There are a large number of upgraded 42s that are all now mint condition pigeon grade guns. So the end is not net for them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember that ad PALUNC. I think they came in a nice dovetail wooden box, if I recall correctly. I coveted those decoys but they weren't in my budget either.

I've got about a dozen wood dove decoys that Dale Dalrymple made for me a few years ago. He does nice work and is reasonably priced.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I've hunted over a few reconditioned wood decoys, but never have had a full rig of them. One sunk.

Taking valuable antique duck decoys hunting is about like using a Cadillac Escalade for a woods truck. Too much depreciation...Geo

I use a pigeon grade model 42 as my first choice for dove and most sporting clay shooting. It is still high condition but not mint. So I understand about depreciation by using it. Not as extravagant as your example but close to many. But I dont abuse it and bought it to shout. Not sit in some safe as a safe queen. This one is real but I know that there are many that are nit. There are a large number of upgraded 42s that are all now mint condition pigeon grade guns. So the end is not net for them.

Ky.Jon, I shoot my finest guns too. Just like I wouldn't have a Cadillac and not drive it. But, just as I wouldn't use an Escalade for a woods truck, I don't drag my best guns through a swamp to get to a beaver dam where the woodies are ganged up either. I don't have any valuable decoys so it doesn't matter to me if I want to use mine to hunt over. If I owned a collection of Wards or Crowells the answer would be different...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew a Doctor who bought A Mercedes station wagon years before they were common place and did use it as a hunting vehicle. Dog box in back, hunting gear and decoys just loaded in like it was a International Scout. Well he did have fancy bags for all his gear and decoys. His gun of choice was a couple Browning Superposed O/U. Then again he had more money than I ever will have to play with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great stories and photos, thanks for sharing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a few old wooden decoys, cork, paper machete decoys, etc. In all types I have found that a good cleaning, often just soap and water have perked them up significantly. I do not hunt over them but most of them would be fine for that. all of the wooden decoys have stories.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have four generations worth of decoys. Back to my great grandfather's from around 1900 or so. Mostly factory but some local carvers too. Later decoys are mostly cork or balsa with white cedar heads. I like to keep a few oldies in the rig and have some old wooden boats too. No motors, just a push pole and oars. All of this stuff was used on the south jersey marshes along the Delaware River. Now it resides on the eastern shore of Maryland and I will use it as long as I am able.

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey hammer gun, what kinda gun do hunt with when you get nostalgic? Any pics

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wildfowler made some nice factory blocks, mostly balsa bodies, from 1939 for about 70 years. It had several owners who moved the company from place to place. Not highly collectible but had great lines and nice paint. Company made the Old Saybrook line of decoys. One owner of the company would hunt here in the lowcountry at a friend's place years ago when we had ducks. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been supplying a grad student with blocks of basswood to use for teal decoys. With a little luck, we will shoot over them this fall. Not too long actually.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.