Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
That Fraser's checkering is outstanding work! The very long aspect diamonds and the perfectly executed mullered border are truly a thing of beauty. Can we see a photo or two of the whole gun? Thanks.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't help thinking that a stock without checkering is not finished. Good checkering doesn't hide the wood's beauty; it offers a different view of it. That Fraser stock s a good example. It would look forlorn without checkering. On the other hand, anyone who'd rather own a stock without can do so with some financial savings.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The next photo is from a SC gun that I'm checkering. I use this pattern with quite a few modifications for a client. I checker 2-3 guns a month using this style or something very similar.

That style is similar to a Kolar SC gun I had. i.e. the uncheckered ribbon between the panels.…….very nice!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

There were a lot of Plain Finish/Standard Grade Winchester Model 12s & 97s, Remington Model 11, 10 & 17 A "Standard" Grades, etc. giving good service for decades without any checkering.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
There were a lot of Plain Finish/Standard Grade Winchester Model 12s & 97s, Remington Model 11, 10 & 17 A "Standard" Grades, etc. giving good service for decades without any checkering.

And a bazillian of the pressed checkerd jobs that sort of feel like flat top checkering does. Not every old gun has had the checkering recut when worn either, so just perhaps the actual function of checkering is a tad overstated.

I like checkering. I like the way it looks, and some, even most, guns would indeed look unfinished without.

One of the best stocks I've ever had the chance to use belongs to a friend of mine who fitted it to a Beretta auto. I believe it's from Wenig. He allowed me to try it before he checkered it. It has a big meaty grip area and handles very well. The owner thinks it's just fine as is and has yet to checker it.

As far as the wuss factor goes, I may be one but I don't wear gloves. I can't even shoot with gloves in cold weather. Some guys do wear gloves, even in the summer. I don't understand how that can help except to buffer the abrasive effect of the sharp checkering.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting the pics Doug. Your work is so nice that I always enjoy seeing it.

One question .......... is it not unusual to see a checkering pattern that uses the beautiful mullered borders on one side (front) and no borders at all on the other (rear), like your Fraser? Not questioning your decision to do that, it's stunning, just don't recall ever seeing that before.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Stan for the kind comments.

To answer your question, I guess it's a matter of style for me. I do mullered borders on the front of point patterns because I like the look. I'm a firm believer that borders are decorative and should not be used to cover up errors. I don't do mullered borders on a fill-in pattern unless the original gun i.e. Parker was done that way. At least you know what your going to get from me :-)

Please bear with me for a moment but that Fraser is, IMO, a spectacular rifle and WAY above my pay grade. However it does give me much pleasure to look at when the sun comes up in the deer woods.

Doug Mann
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.