March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fullandfuller, Lloyd3, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Owned a 1950s Merkel 200e 16 gauge for a while. Shot it as well as any gun I've ever owned, but foolishly sold it. It was different from the Brownings or the various Italian guns. Not necessarily better, but a wonderful gun I'd like to have back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Merkels are finely made guns, no doubt. They are strong and should last several lifetimes ......... but they leave me cold.

From a man that cuddles up with a foe tin Yiltz...

I say you might need to see a Docta' Stanley....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never cared for the looks of the newer Merkels. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bbman3
I have never cared for the looks of the newer Merkels. Bobby

what do you consider newer (post WWII? or something more recent?)

What do you not like about them?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

To answer the OP's question, no. The SKB 280 is completely adequate for upland hunting. The 100 maybe better.
Now, if you want the Merkel then there's a reason!
Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

In terms of price, Ithaca SKB and Merkel are not in the same ballpark. They're also very different guns. SKB borrowed a lot from the Webley & Scott 700 series when they made their guns. So you've got a Japanese takeoff on something British . . . with a few American quirks thrown in, like a single selective trigger on all of them; beavertail forends on all but the Model 100. So you're comparing a sort of Brit styled gun (minus the American quirks) to something that's very Teutonic. The common German side by sides--Sauer, Merkel, Simson--all resemble each other very closely.

I've owned a bunch of both. A warm place in my heart for both, because an SKB 150 12ga was my first sxs, and a pre-war Sauer 16 (pretty basic gun) my 2nd. You're not likely to encounter many problems with either. I currently own a 47E 20ga and recently acquired a 16ga 201 OU. Still working on getting used to the latter. I also have an SKB 280 20ga. A local sporting goods store has that same gun but with 25" barrels (mine has 28") in nearly new condition for $1,000. It's on consignment so might well sell for less. If there's a better sxs out there for that kind of money, I don't know what it is--although I wish they'd put a splinter forend (like the 100) on the 280's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Owned a 1950s Merkel 200e 16 gauge for a while. Shot it as well as any gun I've ever owned, but foolishly sold it. It was different from the Brownings or the various Italian guns. Not necessarily better, but a wonderful gun I'd like to have back.

I bought that gun from you and it was a magnificent specimen. It was stocked too high for me and it was too nice to mess up with alterations I just couldn't do it. I did take a few pheasants with it and have a picture of it and two beloved past dogs taped to my safe. I sold it to Larry B.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Merkels are finely made guns, no doubt. They are strong and should last several lifetimes ......... but they leave me cold.

Just for monkey man ......... doctor's orders.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Just for monkey man ......... doctor's orders.

SRH

Talk about cold -- that looks like air conditioning for the field.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Gifts are not criticized harshly in my neck of the woods by right minded people, Brently. To do so would be extremely rude and ungentlemanly. The inexpensive little gun was a gift from a dear friend who knows of my fondness for .410 doubles. My use of it in the dove field was to prove to my 9 yr. old grandson that the bore is not a toy, but that it should be taken seriously.

Anyone who equates my use of a gifted gun with my evaluation of another make has serious issues.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.