April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bob Jurewicz, susjwp, David Williamson, Wild Skies, GSPWillie, 1 invisible), 260 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,762
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AZMike Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I sure have been seeing sellers stretch descriptions.

http://www.nramuseum.org/gun-info-research/evaluating-firearms-condition.aspx

I know many of you were "Shotgun News" subscribers, a paragraph and a phone call or two for gun purchases. Honest descriptions by good sellers.

Last edited by AZMike; 08/14/20 08:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience with the old Shotgun News, back in the late 1980s, was ordering a No. 1E NID .410-bore with 28-inch barrels from a dealer in Missouri. What arrived at my dealer in Virginia was a Field Grade extractor gun with 28-inch barrels. Sent it back and had my money back in 30-days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love " good condition for its age".
Not.
It's either in good condition, or it
is not.
There are very few guns that are interesting to me, in "Good" - NRA condition.

AZMike Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Near mint, minty, proper patina, super rare, honest wear etc......

researcher, I hope you don't have flash backs of the harrowing experience! ha ha
I called and arranged deals from an island in the North Pacific--it sometimes took weeks to get the guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And what an Island!! At least the fishing came "as advertised"!

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terms too often misused must include rare. When they made thousands to tens of thousands rare is just not appropriate. Another term is hard to find. Real funny when there are five more listed on GunBroker alone. Fixer upper, gunsmith special, restoration quality and project are all terms I run away from. I have too many projects already to start dealing with others someone else either started or bought by mistake.

When I hear great project gun I understand this is like a time share which you can never figure out the total cost, have no idea how many hidden problems there are to find and just like a time share you will be lucky to ever find another sucker, (buyer) , to sell this beauty to.

As to the old Shotgun News in hind sight it was insane buying guns sight unseen based on a short description It was rolling the dice every time. Once in a while you ended up with a gun much better than expected but the rest was a crap shoot. Friend described it like ordering a mail order bride based on a 20 word description.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1982 I was a victim of mail fraud after ordering a gun on Shotgun News. The Ohio Attorney General's office was most helpful and put the guy in jail for 6 months based on evidence collected from myself and others, but I never got my money back. The law stated that if he ever wanted to go back into business again he'd have to repay everyone. Dumb law.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was always a big day for me when a new Shotgun News arrived back in the '50s when truly old-time businesses like Francis Bannerman Sons placed ads. I met my first fellow fireworks collector from the Wanted section in SN back in the '70's.

As far as terms go, I still cringe at use of the winemaker's term 'vintage' as a synonym for 'old' or 'antique' even though it is now accepted as just another example of word evolution (or devolution).

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought several doubles off Shotgun News way back and only returned two a steel barreled 20 gauge straight grip PHE Parker and a CE Fox straight grip 20 gauge Bobby

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.