March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Licensed to kill, Little Creek, FallCreekFan, Karl Graebner, KDGJ, Argo44), 803 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#578362 08/21/20 09:30 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Who's opening chokes and forcing cones for a reasonable price with a good reputation/quality of work these days? Please omit Mike Orlen from any suggestions. Thank you gentlemen...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeets Gun Shop

Gun shop in the Woodall, Oklahoma

Address: 14007 US-62, Tahlequah, OK 74464

Phone: (918) 456-4749

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 for Skeets. Dean Harris, who runs the shop, is a top notch feller. Work is usually prompt and very well done. Also he is willing to talk on phone to really understand what you want. He has saved my butt several times with my vintage guns.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys. Any idea what he charges per tube to open chokes or to lengthen forcing cones before I call him?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Who's opening chokes and forcing cones for a reasonable price with a good reputation/quality of work these days? Please omit Mike Orlen from any suggestions. Thank you gentlemen...

Just curious, why omit Orlen? He's done some good and timely work for me at very reasonable prices...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Thanks guys. Any idea what he charges per tube to open chokes or to lengthen forcing cones before I call him?

I have forgotten. I just know it was very reasonable. Just go ahead and give him a call. Youll enjoy the conversation.

Just a tip Ive found helpful for shipping barrels: I go to a golf store and get a golf club shipping box for free, buy a PVC pipe that just fits inside, and pack the barrel well with bubble wrap. Darn near indestructible.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

M. Orlen has done extremely fine, and timely, work for the trade for many years. But, occasionally he does not do the work he is asked to do in a reasonable length of time. Maybe he has a good reason, but he doesn't necessarily make that reason known to the customer. It just does not sit well with a customer when he has to ask for the work to be done, or send the barrels back, almost a year after they were received. Point? .....communication is cheap, and extremely important.

Dean Harris is probably the most helpful, patient and reasonable gunsmith I have dealt with over the years of trying to keep these old guns shooting well. I've had some grave disappointments from some "big name" gunsmiths in the trade ............. not with Dean. He's top notch in what he does, and IMO, including his pricing.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another A+ for Dean Harris . Dean has done choke work on doubles and also tightened action, threaded 16 ga Rem 31s, Win mod 12 for choke tubes. All excellent work. IMHO Dean is a Master craftsman, and a great guy to talk with.
Also had work done by Mike Orlen. Good job and some with good turn around and several others very slow ( months), and as Stan said with zero communication as to why delay and when will gun be returned
BJT

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just had a set of 20 gauge chokes opened by Buck Hamlin In Missouri. Very reasonable and a two week turn around from NY.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buck Hamlin is the ONLY gent I entrust my handful of "Elsies" to, with the caveat that my late good friend and hunting pal Brad Bachelder is no longer with us. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.