March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (BEY, ChiefAmungum, canvasback, FelixD, Dan R, 2 invisible), 385 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The used Beretta 45-70 DR that I recently purchased was said to be regulated with 300 grain handloads at 1600 fps and at very close range, it was effective on a 300 pound feral hog boar.
However, the regulation was not satisfactory from 50 yard bench rest testing. Further testing showed that each barrel was sub minute of angle accurate, so the gun should have potential. I booked an appointment with a proven gun maker to regulate the gun but that would be several months in the future. So, what to do now?

I examined several 20 round boxes of my commercial ammo stash and selected a few types to shoot to see if one would help determine a starting place for handloading experimentation. Of that, the first to be tried at the range was Hornady 325 grain at 2000 fps. This ammo is a proven killer of big game, but would not group well in my rifle.

The next in line was Remington Green Box 405 grain JSP. Voila!
Two R&L cycles and there appeared a 4 shot 2 inch group level with the Bullseye! It was 4 inches to the right and easily corrected with a sight adjustment. Th rifle is now shooting a good hunting group that can be adjusted for range as needed.

Yes, I was very lucky, but wanted to shoot 400 grain ammo anyhow.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations. Now buy a lifetime supply of it since Remington ammo is in a state of flux!

It surprises me that Beretta made a double in .45-70, but it's a great cartridge for that application.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is good advice and I am already shopping.

I have a lot of 45-70 brass, 100 Remington .458 JSP 405 grain bullets and may buy some .458 400 grain Speer bullets and plenty of powder, so I plan to shoot mostly hand loads.

BTW, this is my first Beretta firearm, so I am learning as I go. So far, it seems to be well made, smooth to operate, and has nice features like articulated front trigger, articulated cross bolt, and graceful metal and stock work. Very accurate barrels too; both will put bullet after bullet into the same hole if the shooter does his part.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hope you work on those hogs big time with it.

Those cheek panels are very long, and sharply defined ..... much like a Merkel except even longer. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't hit my hand a bit in recoil.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun and some out-of-the-box thinking to get it dialed in.

crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rubberhead,
some motivation for the "out of the box" was due to long wait times for a qualified DR smith to do re regulation and the approximate cost of thereof.
Plus I have had good success loading 400 grain ammo for my .405 DR which was well regulated for 300 grain Hornady ammo.

Stan - recoil is very light so fR with wimpy 300 and 400 grain loads and well designed rifle. I have ordered some 1600 fps 400 grain ammo for fun testing and that WILL kick a bit more. smile

crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Getting more interesting!
A friend donated two boxes of 350 grain .458 North Fork soft point bore rider bullets. They look serious!
Those plus two boxes of Hornady 325 grain 2000 fps loaded ammo
Plus my new 405 grain Remington test loads from 1600 to 1900 fps.
Plus some 450 grain NF FPS left over from African testing, Need to determine proper velocity to test these.

Need a little bit of time at loading bench and for the rain to stop. Plus a little luck at the range.

Much more fun than worrying about Covid 19 fraud.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just curious as to what type of scope mount is on that rifle?

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave,
It is curious, but very stout.
The answer comes in two parts:
The part clamped on the scope is for a revolver.
The part mated to the rib is custom and secured with three screws.

It is not a quick detach mount. This suited the first owner who shot deer (sighting with the scope for the right barrel only with 300 grain Remington bullets) with this rifle for 10 years.. His widow told me his blind was in the middle of their property and he always brought home the venison. In fact, he was dragging out a big buck when he had a heart attack and died in the field with his deer and rifle. Sad, but he went doing something he loved.
Otherwise, I would never been offered this like-new rifle. 10 years and only one tiny mark on the butt stock!

Anyhow, my son and I are trying a few different loads to see which works best for us.

crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

North Fork .458 350 grain SS bullets arrived today so I can load them tomorrow and finally be ready for a serious range outing.

As soon as things are dry enough to go to the range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.