March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have 2 16ga Sxs with pigeons engraved on them,both Belgium made around 1920s with tight chokes. Do you guys believe they are actually pigeon guns? Maybe for Youth or women( 14 1/4 thin wrists)? Or just decorated that way like a modern pigeon grade?

Tight chokes .025 .025 .020 .030

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are not dedicated pigeon guns, IMO. That is just nice decoration. Pigeon guns were 12 bore or larger, no safety, and were stocked high. Too much drop on those to be flyer guns, too.

Recently bought and read Adam's book on pigeon shooting and the guns and ammo used, and I recall nothing that would lead me to believe these are pigeon guns.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. I had never heard of sub gauge pigeon gun. Now I know why.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan you can't believe everything you read in a pigeon shooting fantasy book....

No way you can say these weren't pigeon guns.

Pigeon shooting is more about gambling and fast money...

Last I heard not a very Christian thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If Cyril Adams writes something on pigeon shooting you can take it to the bank. I guess if you found a .410 with a gold pigeon on it, it would be a gen-u-ine pigeon gun, eh?

Beside Joe, I said it's only my opinion. Cool ya' jets.

SRH

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe there has been a consensus from multiple sources since I asked the question recently, that these are just a high grade designation.

Last edited by Jtplumb; 10/01/20 08:46 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe the Good Lord doesn't like gambling and money, but surely He can't get out of sorts about us guys shooting a bunch of airborne poopsters. If He does, I'm on the Highway to Hell- I've shot untold numbers of barn pigeons, and will keep doing so until I can no longer shuck a Model 12.

You might remember, Joseph, that when our Lord and Savior drove the money changers out of the Temple- it wasn't Messers Merrill, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Bean he kicked out-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

There were rules at some clubs specifying closer rises for sub gauge guns. If they are set up like a target gun it's possible. All the big money shooters seem to have used 12's after 10's were no longer "legal" .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am probably going to regret wading in here, but I will take a chance at being told by naysayers that I am full of Crap.
That said I will only print here what I have PERSONAL first hand knowledge of.

Smallbore "Pigeon Guns" did exist, and were seen in limited use in Europe by a small number of competitors , usually women and children.

I have handled several , but will describe two that I am familiar with offhand, one I shot a good bit at game , and one I handled in the presence of its then current owner.

The first was one of only 2 O/U guns in the large collection of fine guns owned by a now deceased American flyer shooter with extensive experience on both sides of the Atlantic. He bought it much for its novelty.
A 20 bore HAMMER O/U (not a misprint) A solid rib 28" tightly choked 6 3/4 to 7 lb. gun with Belgian proofs. Half pistol grip and fairly high dimensions. It bore the name of J.Bartel a franco-belge maker of the period.
I shot the gun a dozen times or so in the field. It was commissioned by the original owner as a gun for his children.

The second was owned and shot for years by one of the Italian women luminaries of the sport. The then owner of the gun showed it to me in the armory at the old club in Bologna in the early 1980's It was a Holland Royal Pigeon gun in 16 gauge and had pigeon gun characteristics that one would find common on a SxS gun used in the European rings of the time, but was a 16 bore.
I am working from an old memory but I believe it was the weapon of choice of Contessa Lea della Gheradesca. If I am mistaken about the shooter , then I believe it may have been Mimma Schreiber, an equally famous women's competitor of the period.
I am going to look at some old pictures if time permits to confirm.

Since Cyril's name came up in this thread, I believe he will recall seeing the Bartel O/U in my possession many years ago.

Delighted in your recovery , Stan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for your input, Paul. I know that you have infinitely more first hand knowledge of the sport than I, and I respect your opinion highly. What I can't understand is the obvious large amounts of drop on these two specific guns, and the safeties.

Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate it.

SRH

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.