March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gankai, Pat Gidley, Gerry Addison, Jtplumb), 791 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kutter
Use the 375 bbl on your Steyr project.
Chamber for the 375 N/E rimmed 2.5" case
It was a popular offering in the British built Steyr, Martini & Lee sporters.

You can make a short version of it for the simplicity of obtaining brass by necking up 303British brass.
Then it'll be a 375 N/E 2.25" case .

I still owe you picks of my Romanian Steyr sporter carbine. Haven't forgotten, just haven't dug it out yet.

Your idea would be a possibility, however I already have a 375 NE (9.5x56 MS) on a MS model 1910 rifle. And a .375 H&H on a M70.

I certainly will continue to look forward to pics of your Romanian sporter

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Marks_21
I am neither trying to be argumentative, rude, or critical- every happy find is a treasure, but what makes an unfinished blank excitingly special? Is barrel quality in the bore and rifling, not the chambering, action fit or contour ?

The barrel quality from one of, if not the best barrel maker of our time. IMHO

Sidelock
Sidelock

Forgive me if my preface highlighted anything less than a real question. I am asking sincerely is barrel quality in the blank or the fit and finish ? Surely you need some element of both. Certainly you wouldn’t send it to Joe Blow to finish the project- but are the roots that deep on a project like this? Using a Roush block does not make a Roush engine. Certainly doesn’t mean the Roush block isn’t quality or doesn’t represent a premium start. I am not judging the barrel maker or suggest Roush makes the best engines either. I am just asking if the roots are that deep.
EDIT :
Thinking about this I guess I missed the original point that this was a purchased barrel to use by another gunmaker delivered as is. I believe I considered it removed from a shop “partially finished” or “misc part”. I wasn’t thinking “new old stock”

Last edited by Marks_21; 10/13/20 09:12 PM.
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

.... I am asking sincerely is barrel quality in the blank or the fit and finish ? .....

In the craftsmanship of the barrel maker. The value of the barrel is on the inside and not the "fit and finish", which are aesthetics at best. Brings to mind, “Only accurate rifles are interesting.” T. Whelen, and since the barrel is the single largest impactor to accuracy, I again say "on the inside"

Sidelock
Sidelock

....what makes an unfinished blank excitingly special? Is barrel quality in the bore and rifling, not the chambering, action fit or contour ?

As it sits on the bench, I would think the bore, rifling and contour. When the thread started, the picture did not appear for me, so I assumed a blank meant cylinder. Others will probably know better, but this barrel maker has a long history of top quality in a rifling method that has since taken over the accuracy game. He is likely associated with training most of the current desireable barrel makers, and his barrels don't seem to become available with any predictability?

Since the contouring was done by this same maker, it was likely done well with high concentricity and without induced stresses. Once it left the barrel maker's shop, how it is used is likely a different issue and may not be related related to an either or barrel characteristic?

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
and without induced stresses. ...

And, if any stress was ever there, it has most likely relieved itself over the last 30 plus years of setting waiting to be used.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am neither trying to be argumentative, rude, or critical- every happy find is a treasure, but what makes an unfinished blank excitingly special? Is barrel quality in the bore and rifling, not the chambering, action fit or contour ?

I can not answer that question for the original poster, but let me try and answer it from my perspective. I have known Boots for over 30 years now. Shared the firing line with him and spent many an hour in the pits discussing barrels, gunsmithing and politics with him, and was lucky enough to visit his shop one time. To me Boots represents one of the last of the great old time barrel makers in the same class as Pope, Schoyen, Hubaleck and others. With simple equipment and a lot of skill he made barrels that were sought after by the finest shooters, particularly in the highpower rifle community. He was never particularly prolific and always had a long wait list. About the only way I found to get one was to take whatever he had on hand. Boots was also a very competitive highpower shooter as well, finishing in the top 5% in the highpower nationals for many years.

I've had several Boots barrels through my shop in the last 25 years, and have one on my Palma rifle currently. While my bore scope says the barrel makers of today are making a better product than what any of the old timers made in years past, I would still snatch up any Obermeyer barrel I could find just as fast as I could grab my wallet. And my Palma barrel has shot 14 consecutive x's at 600 yards with iron sights even with me shooting it.

The above barrel would make a great addition to any fine custom rifle. Also as a side note, when making that barrel, Boots would have contoured that barrel to that rough contour prior to reaming and rifling so as to reduce any tendency for the bore to change when doing the final shaping of the barrel. Just one thing that you can do with a cut rifled barrel that you can't do with a button barrel.

Just my perspective, hope it helps,
John

Last edited by gasgunner; 10/15/20 07:33 AM.
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gasgunner

..... I would still snatch up any Obermeyer barrel I could find just as fast as I could grab my wallet.....

Interesting you said that because today my friend sold me a 6.5 caliber 5R rifled barrel blank he had and I bought it. Never fitted, 26 3/4" blank 1.3" breech diameter and .750 muzzle 8.5 twist. So now I have 2 of them. smile It also comes from the 1980'/1990's time frame.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for the replies. Cool stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF, I don't have any experience with Obermeyer barrels, but I think I know how you felt when you found this one. A couple years ago, I bought a group of barrels from an auction including a Springfield NRA Sporter barrel NOS together with the star gauge record. shipping tube and correspondence with the original buyer. I can't decide just what to do with it, but it's fun to have none the less.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 10/16/20 12:49 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.