March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
I would just go with conventional scope mounts and scope if you don't want to use the existing layout? It really does not look like a true target rifle nor collectable, but that round was generally associated with slow twist and may not like heavier deer type bullets? It might have been intended to be a long range varmint rifle, maybe leave the longer barrel for now and see what happens?

craigd, I agree with you on the conventional scope and mounts. But it was the .244 Rem that had the slower 1:12 twist. Remington changed the name to 6 mm Rem and changed the twist to 1:9 to better compete with the .243 Win. The Douglas barrel on this gun is most likely 1:10 twist.

Judging by the contour, it doesn't look like a 12 pounder to me. But all the same, I think I'd probably check its' potential as a long range varmint gun before trying to turn it into a sporter weight deer rifle. I think the result would be as unsatisfactory as all those ill-conceived attempts to turn heavy 30" duck guns into an upland gun by chopping the tubes.

Another point... when I began deer hunting, the very first gun I carried was my Dad's 26" heavy barreled .244 Model 722 Remington, equipped with a 10x Weaver scope. It was not the ideal rifle for a 12 year old kid, but if I could lug that thing up our mountains, a grown man should have no problem. That .244 with the 1:12 twist stabilized 100 gr. Nosler partitions well, but it was outstanding with lighter Sierra varmint bullets. My Dad sold it when it started shooting dime sized groups at 100 yards, because he thought the barrel was shot out. I then bought a Model 700 6mm with my paper route money, which I used for several years until I switched to using a .50 cal. flintlock. The performance of those big slow lead balls turned me against small bore rifles for deer. When I finally used a centerfire rifle again a few years ago, it was a .45-70. Elmer Keith was right.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If I needed the perfect deer rifle I would have bought a Marlin 30-30, and it would have been a short thread. smile
I made an impulse buy, and I will play with it until something better comes along or it bores me. In my opinion is it not special enough to worry about cutting or drilling, ALTHOUGH I do always hesitate to do so. I bought a Rem 700 in 7mm TCU and intended to make it a small and short deer rifle for my kids, but the 26 inch barrel shoots SO DANG well I won't risk messing with it. I have shot about 18 of my last 20 whitetails with some version of a .50 caliber muzzleloader, and on top of that I don't think one has been more than 40 yards away. I wouldn't pick a 6mm or .243 as a first choice for anything, but I thought this was a neat rifle and I think I would like it more dressed like a sporter. What I really wondered was if anyone thought it was something more than a junky old conversion rifle. I think the stock looks VERY much like my Jaeger Savage 110. I think Flaigs and Jaeger were both in PA was there ever any known overlap there?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Marks_21
If I needed the perfect deer rifle I would have bought a Marlin 30-30, and it would have been a short thread. smile

that was worth a good laugh! Thanks.

I like the external adjustable scopes for the same reason I like old rifles. the Winchester A5, Lyman 5A, and Unertl Small Game scopes would look right at home on that rifle, so long as the rear holes are far enough back that you can get the scope to where your eye needs it. Otherwise longer scopes will allow them to hang further back and an old Fecker would be my choice for that - possibly a Lyman Junior Targetspot. Are the holes set for 7.2" mount centers?

When you are tired of it, those scopes can be flipped for probably about what you paid for them - so you are really only putting down a deposit when you buy one.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hunted with what most people considered "heavy" rifles my whole hunting life. My first was a custom Pattern 17 Enfield with Douglas Premium barrel, and custom stocks, and it weighs about 8.5 lbs. Never really thought about the weight until somebody with a composite stock told me it was heavy.
And packing my old single shot rifles of 10-12 lbs. with external adjustment Lyman, Unertl, Fecker scopes and no slings made me really appreciate what heavy means! But I never had an issue using the old external scopes for hunting, but always used lower 8x-12x power scopes, as the higher power just aren't good choices for hunting for me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well it turns out it is a sweet rifle. It is much prettier than expected, really well crafted, I guess exactly what I hoped for though better than I expected. I have missed ( underbid) 5 or 6 unertyl / Lyman scope set ups at auction in the last few weeks. I am too cheap wink.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.