March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 290 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have always wondered why some wads are more suitable for tapered hulls and some for straight walled hulls. It must have something to do primarily with the ignition of the powder and how tightly it is sealed in the base of the hull. So a better seal could be achieved with a tapered hull and it will result in a hotter load--at least in the first few inches? Thanks! Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil
I always beleived that hulls that had a seperate tube and base required a straight wad to match the tube. A cast case or forged case allow taper to ease extraction from the mold. I also think the base was formed like a hemi head to promote uniform combustion.
Just my thoughts
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the answer is the inside taper of the hull. Federal, Fiocchi, etc. are said to be "straight walled". Winchester AA, Remington STS etc. are "tapered wall". So, wads are made with slightly different diameter at the base to make a good gas seal for the two different types. Not sure the basewad makes a difference to the wad, they don't touch for any load I've ever done. I'm so sure I think I'll head down to the loading bench to mike a couple different wads!

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Cobbhead
Not sure the basewad makes a difference to the wad, they don't touch for any load I've ever done.

http://www.claybusterwads.com/index.php/product-by-style/by-style-winchester/3

The 'insert' referenced would be the basewad.

Reifenhauser was the father of the plastic shotshell. He invented a way of work hardening and extruding a plastic tube that was both thin enough and strong enough to make a shotgun shell.

Those shells are still with us today as the 'Reifenahuser tube', are straight walled, and require a base wad of some type. The design of the shape of the combustion area and the internal volume varies considerably from brand to brand.

The 'compression formed' shell was devised by Winchester in the early 60's as another way to skin that cat and is made in a die. The shell is one piece with the exception of the head. The taper strengthens the base and improves the thermal efficiency of the shell. Remington STS and Gun Club are still one piece tapered shells. The AAHS is a hybrid of sorts and gets some of it's taper from the basewad.

All shells gas seal best and work the best with wads designed to match their internal dimensions. Other wads can be used and in fact many of the 'lower pressure' loads you see published rely on poor fitting wads. Powder migration can be a problem in such cases especially with fine grained powders such as ball powders. Flake powders mitigate this to some extent. It's still a dubious practice in my book.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

What do you mean by "thermal efficiency" and why does it matter to the soon to be dead duck?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

It acts as insulation and shapes the combustion chamber for optimum. This isn't by accident, it's the result of experiments leading to final optimum design.

Ever notice how tapered shells use less powder than straight cases to do the same work?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunj, the short answer to your question is, No. But that's why I asked. I'm a pretty casual shotgun reloader, primarily for hunting. I can't see how insulation could matter, but I can accept that a shaped charge may. I thought the taper was merely a design for manufacturing efficiency, as it is with brass cases for rifles and pistols.

I'd be interested to see some apples to apples comparisons of the shaped charge case vs. the straight wall case.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shaped base wads were used before plastic shells were invented for the same reasons.

A shell is a heat engine, and anything that contains heat and keeps it from escaping aids performance.

Looking at Federal data vs. Winchester data for common loads in the Alliant loading manual shows that using Red Dot for example with the same primer and the 'correct' wad for the hull the difference is about one grain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The straight wall cases have a larger internal volume. Think of the difference in the wed area of a piece of .308 brass vs .45ACP. Basically the same exterior dimensions. The Federal Gold Medal hull has slightly more internal capacity than a AA or STS. Because of that with the same load it would have lower pressure and lower velocity. With fast burning powder the AA and STS are more efficient. They are designed for target loads. The Gold Medal hull optimizes with slower burn rate powders and has more potential to do work with the larger internal capacity. If you use a Federal wad in a AA because the wad is for a straight wall case it may create a minor bulge in the case wall. If you use a wad for a AA hull in a straight wall case the smaller diameter of the bottom of the wad mat allow some powder types to migrate past it and on ignition it may not completely seal the gasses behind the wad when the powder burns. So in summation the AA and STS type hulls were designed for peak efficiency with target loads. The straight wall cases will be less efficient with target loads but have more potential to load heavier payloads at lower pressure on a top end hunting load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sort of.

The Gold Medal is an optimized target load thus the name.

The base wad is quite a bit different than Federal field loads and the case capacity is less than Federal field loads or Federal promo target loads such as 'Top Gun' or 'Estate'. Federal uses two piece wads especially designed for the hulls as target loads in those cases. You can bet the powder charge contains more energy regardless of powder RQ for those loads.

The internal capacity of the FGM is still larger than a tapered case and in spite of the base wad it still takes more powder to do the job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.