March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (David Williamson, craigd, ChiefAmungum, bsteele, Dan R, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 332 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,984
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#581804 10/10/20 11:15 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was looking at my Fox, Parker and LC Smith singles and it occured to me that the Parker was the poorest due to how the action was constructed. It looks like a 410 forgeing and many of the tools were used to make the action. Inside it has perverted side by side parts, Looking at the three the L C Smith is closer to todays design than the others. Smiths shooting qualities are the benificary of a 2.75 chamber as oposed to the short chamber of the other two. Anyone else think that Parker has a 410 in it's makeup?

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never thought of the Parker SBT in terms of frame size, but as to the parts themselves, traceable DNA is everywhere. That makes sense in terms of manufacturing economy. The end result might not be the best of designs, but it is well executed, as Parkers are. The chamber length thing is a non-issue unless a person just likes to argue. I think they are delightful guns to shoot.

I am less enamored of the Smith. Smith had the sticky legacy of the rotary bolt that they were loathe to abandon. Designing a good single around that system proved awkward; the result is a gun that is less than smooth in operation. That said, I like the ergonomics of the Smith SBT.

The king of the heap was the Ithaca Knick, which had no old company baggage and was designed right the first time. It easily outsold the other SBTs despite only light advertising.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Parker Bros. SBT came out at least eight years before the first Parker Bros. .410-bore was cobbled together.

I agree that Ithaca got it right with the Knick, but I certainly can't agree with light advertising. I'd say in all my years of searching through old sporting magazines I've seen more Ithaca SBT ads that Fox, Parker and Hunter Arms combined.

Last edited by Researcher; 10/10/20 04:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This afternoon I got out the undisputed first place winner if the race is inexpensive SBT guns. I just wanted to sit and hold it in my lap for awhile. I did have the strength to hold it up and look down the wide rib a few times. It is a Iver Johnson Special Trap, 32" barrel, .029" choke, external hammer. It is the basic Champion but with nicer wood, nice vent rib and an ejector.

The poor man's trap gun in it's day, and a fun gun to shoot clays with today. I'm toying with taking it to the dove field in January to try on some high flyers.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Stan that the Iver Johnson is a great trap gun, but the spring operated extractor/ejector is a bit of a problem with tight shells, kind of like the Winchester Model 37. If the shell is tight and the spring is not enough to dislodge the shell, you are out of business until you get a ramrod. Both are unacceptable for competition. My old Iver Johnson is the one pictured in Frank Conley's book. Foolishly I sold it. Your friend, Bill Murphy from MD.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot Parkers, Foxes, Ithacas, Francottes, and Prussian Dalys. I like them all, but have never given Smiths any more than a look. The barrel on a Smith is nothing more than a piece of pipe with an extension rib that is in the way. All the other guns have a robust breech section, not just a pipe. Chamber length is not really part of the equation when discussing quality or shooting ability.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parker did chamber 2 5/8” but their hang tags said to use 2 3/4” shells. They wanted the hull’s mouth to open inside the forcing cone to provide a better gas seal.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chamber length is part of the system that leads the shot to the barrel. A short chamber means more damaged shot. Out of round , damaged shot means more flyers and poorer patterns. You combine a short chamber and soft shot of the era and a long shamber would be a real advantage. Even with todays hard shot forceing cones are extended trying not to damage the shot.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are comparing paper cases with fiber wads to plastic shells and plastic wads. Is today's high antimony shot any harder than yesteryear's Lubaloy or nickel plated shot? Back in the day when Parker Bros. were building single barrel traps these were the ultimate trap load --

Of course gunsmiths can make trap shooters believe anything. It is well known that you can't get that Nth trap target without a Ljutic with a Stan Baker "big bore" barrel that is essentially the chamber all the way to the choke!!

Last edited by Researcher; 10/12/20 03:08 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Do I remember that the only Parker that had a lot of top shoot wins was bored by LC SMITH . I don't know where I saw this but I am almost 80 so a few clouds are allowed. Researcher your production dates sure shot down my theory on a 410 relationship.
When you look inside it looks like a jury rigged double.

bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.