March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tim in PA, steve voss, GSPWillie, Ted Schefelbein), 868 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely priceless, Kutter. Thank you!

I have a Remington 870 barrel that came on a Wingmaster i recently bought, that has a 34" vent rib barrel. Pretty rare barrel, but damaged. Original owner drilled holes behind the muzzle to achieve a reduction in muzzle rise, like porting but done with a hand drill very sloppily. Probably 10-12 on each side of the rib.

I'd like to salvage that barrel. Is micro welding the best bet for it? Do you think a good micro-welder could get sufficient penetration to fill the holes all the way to the bore wall?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kutter, Thanks. I wouldn't have thought that 22 barrel was possible. Is there danger of pushing a dent into the bore? Also. do you enlarge the opening of a screw hole as Der Ami suggests?

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great post Kutter. You like many on these forums could be writing books on this subject matter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks also Kutter for sharing the comments and the great picture sequence. Would you have any quick thoughts on what filler steel type or types to consider on an obsolete arm for finish matching?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
The idea is not so much to enlarge the hole as to remove the area of the thread, where it "runs out" and the screw would finish to a razor's edge. This little edge almost always breaks off, so you can see it it you look closely. Try one on a piece of scrap, and you will see what I mean. It might work with a #30 drill, I just use the clearance drill to be sure.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Der Ami, thanks for that clarifcation.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter, awesome post, and awesome work…thank you.
Extra holes are the nightmare for restorers, especially screw holes.

Here’s sort of a rundown of issues that I run into when dealing with holes, especially on barrels.

Most screws (especially gun screws) are made out of 12L14, it has lead added for increased machinability. 12L14 will not weld well, due to the lead, lots of porosity, especially with TIG. 12l14 also rusts quicker than any steel that I know of.

I once had a receiver with a couple of extra holes That I plugged and peened, then the receiver was nickel plated. The repair showed up about a year later, the seam between the base metal and plug had gotten some sort of contamination in there started rusting under the plating.

Screw holes inherently have a lot of crap in threads, and will eventually leak/leach out around the seams. It also provides an excellent source of contamination when TIG welding. If I’m plugging a screw hole, I always drill it out to remove the threads.

Most barrels made prior to 1900 were made out of mild steel fairly close to 1018/20. Many barrels, especially smokeless barrels made after 1930 were made out of 4140, different steels. Really need to plug with like materials.

Welding a plug into 4140 presents its own challenges. Most will take a piece f cold rolled steel and use that to plug a hole. Unfortunately, 4140 and 1018 are different steels, and will take bluing differently, 1018 will tend to be darker when blued. The other issue is the HAZ or Heat Affected Zone when welding. 4140 is a thru hardening steel, 1018 is a case hardening steel, not enough inherent carbon to self-harden. When welded, the 41 series steel will be hard, the 1018 steel will be soft. This HAZ, will not only show up when blued, but also when polished. Using the same grit, the softer steel will show the polishing lines more prominently than the hardened HAZ area.

I have found using like steels when plug/welding really helps, and on parts that can be.. annealed after welding to remove the HAZ. But in the case of barrels… nearly impossible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter…

Damn good work.

Kutter #582332 10/19/20 10:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Amazing work there, Kutter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.