March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Roundsworth, Argo44, RWG, 3 invisible), 352 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ed,

Take your off topic questions to the private message feature, or start another thread, please.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In regards to strength . . . I recall an analogy offered that I either read or heard many years ago . . . A 175 lb. mountain climber has two ropes that he uses when scaling a vertical rock wall, one rope is rated to support 1000 lbs. of weight, the other rope is designed to support 2000 lbs of weight. Which rope for the climber's needs is safer? Answer: They are both safe, as both will easily support his weight. Next question: Which rope is stronger? The answer is obvious, the 2000 lb. rated rope is stronger.

You could use the above analogy when comparing the strengths of a gun with or without through lumps.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't see how through lumps are one whit weaker than non-through lumps where a floor plate is employed. The through lumps would make for slightly better reliability as well.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

We are talking about the front lump I gather. Because the rear lump is always machined through, its concealment being the triggre plate, at least that is how it has been in the all the SXSs I have come across.

Solid pin boxlocks are by definition machined through, and the coverage of the front lump is via the bottom action plate. Some of the very best boxlocks are made this way, including some double rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher

Magnum Frame --

Let's take a look at these two pics . . .
Picture a testing lab with a machine to test the strength and rigidity of these two frames without the barrels or butt stock mounted. One end of the machine clamps onto the knuckle at the front end of the action from the water table down to the bottom of the action, the other end of the machine clamps onto the both sides of the action at the rear. The machine then twists the frame. Assuming both frames utilize the same exact makeup and tensile strength, which frame, in your opinion, will offer the most rigidity, strength and resistence to bending, the top frame without the through lump or the bottom frame with the through lump?

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know I prefer the through lump for my guns. I have had the same problem with guns without it as mentioned earlier with a small amount of debris preventing the closing of the action. And its much easier for me to thoroughly clean the pin/ hook area when the gun has a through lump. Action strength is a non issue with me.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

WS, Is twisting really relevant to a shotgun?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

In horology, blind lumps would be called a "complication" for all the same reasons.
I don't discount salesman's rhetoric in their promotion.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never heard of a gunmaker checking to see if the front lump and inside floor have an exceptionally tight fit - or of anyone caring about it.

Perhaps they did/do, but it sounds odd.

Not having a through-lump should make the bbls easier to fit and require less time overall.

When you put the bbls back on face, there's less work to be done, too. And there's no ugly gap on the through lump like you see here:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101130969

The strength argument is odd, too.

Scott used through-lumps on their sidelocks from the 1870s to at least the 1930s.

I've seen them on old, rising-bite .450NE & .470NE Rigby sidelock DRs & 12g shotguns, too. I'm pretty sure Rigby is using them today on their new rising-bite shotguns and DRs.

So if through-lumps weaken actions, why?

I suspect through lumps were more of a PITA overall. I bet makers got rid of them because of the extra work they required and to tidy up/modernize the look of their guns.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I suspect through lumps were more of a PITA overall. I bet makers got rid of them because of the extra work they required and to tidy up/modernize the look of their guns."

That's interesting, as most guns with through lumps are considered cheap. I had always thought the same as you, a little more time and skill to get it right.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.