March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 891 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#583882 11/10/20 02:14 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think we need a new, more on-topic thread here. I'd much rather talk about doubles than Medicare, though I'm looking at retirement in weeks, so this I deal with but in other venues.

I am enjoying reading Rollin Oswald's book. I'm reading it somewhat out of order, which may be a mistake but keeps me entertained.

It is an excellent read and the guy is very clear about what he discusses, which is unusual for a shooting/gun book in my experience. However, one thing I have noticed is that nearly everything he says is geared towards competition shooting. I have not seen any mention about hunting, which is my personal interest in stock fit.

With that in mind, and for those of you that do both extensively, what are the differences, the correction factors for hunting guns that are often shot from cattywhumpus positions at flushed birds and with varying amounts of clothing, and so on? Do you shorten the LOP by 1/4" and all else is good, or have a lower comb, or just more drop at the heal, or ???

I thought it might be interesting to hear what good gun fit means for hunting guns relative to competitive shooting. Certainly, my competition rifles are different than my hunters, so it seems likely that is the case with shotguns too.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stocks intended for the field usually have a thinner grip than clay target guns. They are usually shot from the low mount and tend to have a shorter length of pull and a lower heel than stocks meant for clay shooting from a mounted gun.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Anyone who thinks they know something about shotgun fit should read Oswald. I finished the book recently, but read it in order from front to back, as he suggests strongly that you do.......... the reason being that the author wants you to understand one thing before he tells you how another dimension affects it.

I've never seen so much useful shotgun fitting information in one place in my life. I think none exists. As I recently told a friend, I wish I could have read this book 40 years ago.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have not read the book, but a 3/8" plywood pattern that simulates your gun is useful.
Nails for triggers, nails for rifle sights. Closed eye test for rifles.
Shotgun no sights, have pointed at a lot of Magpies and Flickers.
Don't worry about windage. Not a big deal to make another pattern.
Seems to work for most people.
Chuck

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Not to be demeaning, but in the length of time it would take to make an accurate plywood pattern you can make temporary changes to your actual shotgun and shoot patterns to see what happens because of those changes. A plywood pattern cannot shoot a pattern, and where it looks like it is pointing is no indication of where the shot pattern will actually go. And, at 3/8" thick it would mislead you in indicating the thickness of comb needed to align your eye with the center of the rib. No shotgun stock is anywhere near that thin.

I've been down this road many times, and found that nothing replaces actually shooting your gun for POI.

I may be misunderstanding your point, Chuckster. If so, please fill in the blanks for me.
Thanks.

JMO, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, Do not disagree. The plywood pattern is just the first step, sort of a poor man's try gun.
Go through your steps after the stock is roughed out and refine as required.
Works best with experienced shooters who can mount the gun the same way twice. Some cannot.
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

All my shotguns are flat shooting either they are or fit to shoot 50/50. Even my trap gun. In 1991 I had Jack Dockwiller cut me a stock for it in Redlands, CA. It was an interesting final fitting; he would work on the stock then I would go out and shoot a round and he would cut a little more. We did this a few times until it was right. All this time the ground was shaking on and off from the after shocks of the Sierra Madre earthquake that had hit the LA area. Dockwiller was a master of his craft.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.