March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels of the Browning superposed are of demibloc construction which equates to chopper lump in side by side guns. More expensive to produce than monobloc. The 20 bore guns are sweet, esp the 28” guns, imho. The lightning 20 ga guns are very well balanced and usually weigh about 6 1/4 lbs. I’ve hunted with one for years. My last grouse hunt, I initially hunted with my 20 ga Beretta ASEL. After missing a couple, out came the Browning Super and I had some better luck hitting. Nothing quite so nice as an old and well worn friend to hunt with!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Stan.
How is your recovery faring?
Before I forget, my best to you and yours this holiday season.

The 28 gauges are my favorite.

Here is a 1967 Pigeon Grade, 28" Sk/Sk

Here is one that I had cobbled together. 1968 Pointer Superlight 28" Sk/Sk

A 1967 .410 28" barrels Full/Mod
Art has had it since before the Corona and has fitted a set of new (read old, I bought them in the white) 28 gauge barrels for a sub gauge 2 barrel set.

To put it quite simply, they are the "Bees Knees".
They feel great. They look great. They shoot great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For me, I shoot them better than the 680 guns.

I have owned several SP 680 guns including a 686 Joel Echen 20/28 special with beautiful wood that I tried to love but couldn’t. I punished myself for a year trying to shoot that gun well and finally sent it down the road.

The superposed seems to handle better to me. Especially the prewar through the 50’s.

I’m also fond of the higher grades with the hand engraving. Still looking for a Grade IV.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Are most of the 20 ga. Supers barreled 26 to 28 inches? How many are there around that have 30" barrels?

Any difference in handling between the short tang and long tang models?

I've never had the problem shooting the Berettas that some of you have. I bought my 687 SP II Sporting in 2003 to take to Argentina. It has since been back again, been used here on local dove shoots and sub-gauge sporting clays competitions to good result. Never one breakdown of any kind. I shoot it very well, and have won 20 sub-gauge with a 49 X 50.

Just wondering what makes the Supers command the prices they bring, and if there's something I've been missing out on. Been shooting competitive sporting for nearly twenty years and have never seen a Superposed at a sporting clays shoot. Wonder why? I dunno.

Thanks for the replies so far!

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

20 years...

A very short time in Browning Superposed history.

The guy that can't afford the Italian race car thinks he needs a Perazzi and wouldn't be caught dead with a vintage Browning.

Most superposed Browings are vintage guns...Only guys shooting vintage guns are shooting sxs.

A new plain Jane Browning Superposed starts at 8 grande and has to be special ordered...

Take your pick.

Sidelock
Sidelock

30" 12 gauges are plentiful but there never was a 30" 20 gauge. The long tang / short tang represented a time (1967) when Browning was beginning to feel the pinch.
Things were getting expensive, especially skilled Belgian labor and the tang and knob changes represented cost savings. Some will say the earlier guns were of better quality.
It wasn't too many years later when Browning moved Superposed production to a custom shop status and began the Citori line (a Superposed knock-off) in Japan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

$8000? You must be kidding? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have only two supers left in the rack. Both are 12 with two triggers. Both started out as single/double triggers. One long ago was converted to straight double trigger operations but the other is still a single/double trigger. Or a double/single as my old gunsmith liked to call them. Browning apparently converted them to straight double operation if they were returned for repair. Claimed parts were no longer available to repair otherwise. Oh to live in times before lawyers.

They are pleasure to shoot. Both have seen a lot of heavy use, so metal finish is getting very thin condition wise. I don’t have the interest in a full refinish job, just to make them look “almost” new. So they will remain as is, until my sons decide what to do with them. They are on the “do not sell list” after I pass on. I did find a set of Super Tubes, so I can shoot 20, 28 & .410 in them as well. Again fun guns to shoot a few rounds at skeet or sporting clays. In the field they work even better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was in the market for an O/U I wanted to buy a Browning.
A Superposed was out of my financial reach but a Citori wasn't That's when I learned that they just plain didn't fit me. So, I tried a Beretta. Well, the Beretta fit me just fine. So, I have Beretta 686's plus 2 3091's. They all fit me and work just fine. I have yet to find a Browning shotgun that I can shoot well at all. I'm certainly not knocking them, fine them to be fine guns but they just don't work for me. If I ever run across a Browning Superposed in my price range I'd snap it up and try to make it work for me once again. But I won't give up my Beretta's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While I agree the Citori is a Superposed 'knock-off', and is not a Superposed, they do have certain advantages in the modern world.

They are made of better steel. They are affordable. The forend arrangement is more practical. Choke tubes are standard. The smaller gauges are available with 30" barrels. They are user serviceable, if you have a set of spring pliers a firing pin and spring set takes about half an hour, but so is a Super. The guns are very simple unlike a certain brand from Germany.

Browning was finally convinced the universal porting on their target guns was costing them sales and introduced the CX/CXS series guns. They represent a terrific value.

Not a 'Superposed', but in many ways better for modern times.

While actually in use and mounted to your shoulder it would be difficult to tell the difference between two Lightning field guns, one from Belgium and one from Japan.

My favorite Super was always the Pigeon Grade. One has eluded me so far.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.