March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 640 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,406
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years back I patterned several brands of steel shot through my factory Bennelli chokes and several aftermarket extended chokes designed for steel shot....I came to one conclusion all steel shot patterns like crap and offers terrible killing power.

The three brands of factory loaded bismuth shells I patterned shot almost as good as lead and appeared to have as good a killing power as lead shot on squirrels and ducks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When steel first became the law for duck hunting I was afraid to use it in some of my guns because of the choke. That, plus I couldn't hit anything with it.

I had a Stevens 311 police model with 22" barrels and no choke. I tried that gun with steel and began having great luck with it. Close shots and long shots both.

So, I would have to say that steel can be managed with choke restriction...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

When goose hunting with steel I have learned to have a handful of steel 6's or 7's in an easy to reach spot. I use them to clean up cripples and it's much easier to get a pellet or more in the critical spots with so many more pellets available. I use my tighter choke for that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
A number of years ago, concerned that some day we might need to shoot nontox at relatively small and fragile birds at close range, I patterned both steel and lead target loads at 15 yards (not overly close for grouse and woodcock, especially early in the season) through a 20 and a 12 with open barrels both choked IC (.005 in the 20ga; .007 in the 12ga). 1 oz loads of Win Expert steel 7's vs Rem Gun Club 8's in the 12. Results were slightly more spread with the lead load, but not by all that much. Using Kent Fasteel 7's and STS lead 8's in the 20ga (both 7/8 oz) I found that I got more spread from the steel load, which really surprised me--but convinced me that I would not be disadvantaged by overly tight steel loads if I had to shoot nontox at woods birds.

I don't intend to shoot steel (or other nontox loads) unless I'm required to do so. For pheasants, unless there are more restrictions on lead in the next few years, I probably have what for me amounts to a lifetime supply of Kent Tungsten Matrix 5's and 6's. 2 1/2" 12ga. I'd likely repeat my short range/open choke test with guns I now own and through which I'd shoot steel just to verify what I observed previously with steel and lead target loads, should--for example--the feds put in place a requirement to use nontox on woodcock. (Which, since they're migratory, the feds have the authority to impose.)

Don't lose that private ground because lots of the public is requiring nontox even if not ducking.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only choke tubes I have seen shoot good patterns at 40 yards with coarse steel shot are Briley Extended I MOD chokes. We tried C, S, IC, LM, and Mod and the result was cat sized holes in the pattern. The reason for the test wasBrowning would not warrenty the barrels with T's. The choke in Briley's extended chokes is outside the barrel.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

In response to Bill Schodlatz, I have been called on to repair two guns with screw in chokes that bulged due to coarse (T) steel shot.In each case the damage was @ 2-3" back from muzzle in the choke cone section where the choke is at its thinnest. It's not an easy fix and not always successful.Suggest you examine your Briley tubes to make sure they put the cone outside the barrel profile.

Last edited by Hugh Lomas; 11/24/20 08:12 AM.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

In response to Little Creek's original post I did do research in to the effects of choke restriction vs shot dispersal @ 15 yrs ago. I received from Italy a number of 10ga O/U's, in the white, with fixed chokes F&F of .042" restriction. Utilizing 3&1/2"Remington shells in #2 steel shot I proceeded to pattern at 40yds from Muzzle. Initial results gave a pattern of 68%,it was noted that the pattern was somewhat patchy. I then proceeded to open the lower barrel in .003" increments noting the gradual increase in density. End result was that opening,balancing and final polishing to a restriction of .018" gave an 84% pattern. The intermediate results were progressive and clearly indicated a steady trend.
With regard to "balancing" I usually cut chokes on Mr Greener's principal of equal length cone and parallel section, this however was based on lead shot with e density of 11.xx. For steel shot with a density of 7.3 I increased the ratio to make the parallel section @ 50% longer ie 1:1.5
Summary.
Both 10 & 12ga guns choked as above .018" & .008" will throw patterns of Xfull and Mod performance. I did a number of guns like this and the owners (myself included)have been well satisfied

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hugh, my inside-the-barrel chokes from Briley came with the expressed instructions to never use any steel larger than 4s in steel. And only the IC and M chokes are labeled for steel - they are a slightly different color than the other tubes. Obviously made from a different alloy. I've followed those two rules and and never had a problem.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right. There's one public area (upland habitat) I hunt in Iowa, not far from private ground to which I have access, that requires nontox. I got lucky and took a limit there season before last. 1 oz Bismuth 6's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan Hevi shot proved that roundness doesn't matter years ago...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.