March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any 20x Unertl will sell. I think Ebay would be best but Gunbroker will work or one could sell it on the ASSRA forum

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's the 1" Unertl vs. the more common 3/4" tube. Still a desirable scope, and depending on where it's sold it might be worth almost as much as the rifle.

I personally disagree on the talk that this is simply a action and barrel. Yes, it's not a factory original gun, and there are things that detract from it if each is looked at individually. But when you look at the custom stocks, bent lever, rebarrel, engraving, (including initials) it's a nice old sporter done up in the style found in the 50's and 60's. And done up better than many, yet not as nice as some.
I personally would be surprised if it didn't go around $1500 without the scope, just because it's a neat 1885. I don't find the initials to be that big a detriment myself, and I think any attempts to alter the initials would be a bigger deficit than leaving them alone.

Last edited by Vall; 01/03/21 08:06 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It's refreshing to hear from someone who shares my opinion on removing initials from a fine gun. Lots of recent Unertl prices in Morphy's December sale. Search "unertl".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Initials discretely engraved on a silver stock inlay is one thing, but carving up the entire side of an action, may be another. It may be an issue with the photograph, but the engraving does not look that good to me in the first place.

It would be interesting to see what it brings at auction.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd still like to know the cartridge for which the rifle is chambered. It's likely to be more valuable if it's factory or a commonly used wildcat (.219 Donaldson Wasp, for example) than if it's a complete one-off. I have and shoot a custom (J.W. Van Patten) high wall chambered for .219 Zipper Improved, topped with a 12x Lyman Targetspot. It's a fine varmint rifle, although not nearly as elaborate as the one under discussion here.

It would also be interesting to see if the maker's name, or at least the stock maker's name, appears anywhere. Sometimes, the marking is nothing more than a rubber stamping concealed under a butt plate or inside a forearm channel. The name of the engraver, if it's marked anywhere, would also be interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The biggest detriment to me would be the poorly executed lever, but that can be fixed. I too could live with the initials if need be.

Count me as one who would like to know the chambering. Those .22 wildcats from another era have always fascinated me. (I'm currently shooting R2 Lovell's in two rifles, a custom High Wall and a 1903 Springfield. And a .22 Maximum Lovell in a single shot Krag, built by Hervey Lovell himself. God please, let my stash of brass hold up!)

Sidelock
Sidelock

It may get a few more bids if there was a picture of a chamber casting and some measurements. I would talk to my aunt and see if I could play with it for a while if it turned out to be chambered in something new to me. Maybe, give her a resonable starting bid down payment with any balance when it goes to auction later?

If the execution of the lever would be a potential stumbling point in the market, then probably the stock fit and engraving execution would also hold the rifle back, maybe not purely the style. It looks like a local smith was given a little reign, and not a top tier conversion. It'll work out.

If aunt didn't care what she gets for it, I think a thousand or maybe twelve hundred is a thought through starting point for an auction, likely without the scope. Then, the only thing to hope for is if two or more bidders see something interesting. I think it's a shooter, and doesn't look like it has inherent collector value?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
The biggest detriment to me would be the poorly executed lever, but that can be fixed. I too could live with the initials if need be.

The lever is poorly done, but also an easy fix for me. It doesn't bother me since it's something easily changed, or reworked.

Of course I've seen (and own) guns with much nicer engraving. But this engraving isn't crude, or poorly done. Just not on the level of a Guild engraver's work. It doesn't bother me at all.
If I wasn't so set in my ways with Ballard and Remington single shot rifles, I'd be trying to buy this 1885.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think there's an engravers signiture/initials on the edge of the pattern on the right side of the frame.

Looks like 'jb' or JD perhaps.

The pattern that forms a point going forward and to the rear of the frame.
On the point facing rearward, the upper edge,,,it's formed by 4 major scrolls. All the scrolls wind clockwise.
On the outside edge of the 2nd scroll from the point are what I think are the 2 initials.

The pic is tilted sideways of course so take that into consideration when looking at it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.