March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, SKB, Hammergun, canvasback, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 307 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,979
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Every single William Ford shotgun I’ve seen has been a high quality gun. Gunmakers with patents for actions, ejectors, etc should be considered full service shops & factories. Why? Because they were actively involved in the gunmaking process, if they just brought in someone else’s guns to sell them...why bother coming up with their own actions & patents? . Unlike some so called gunmakers that never once patented anything worthwhile and called themselves gunmakers when they never produced a gun from the raw, or in fact never produced a modern breech loading gun at all.
The last Ford shotgun I had in my hands was a friends who bought it sight unseen. I broke the gun down to the bits and inspected it. It was beautifully made and put together. The gun came with an entire set of tools and extras like strikers, etc. It was a BLE with intercepting sears and full coverage English scroll engraving and finest English Damascus barrels. All of the tools had ivory handles. Stunning gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eeb
I understand how the Birmingham guntrade worked/works; my interest is in who did what. It seems William Ford could build a gun, but his strength was as a barrel borer. He was part of the trade that relied on the contract system and he probably paid more attention to finishing the barrels than most since that was his specialty. My question about William Evans had more to do with what did the customer get since Evans was “from Purdeys “. If his guns were sourced from the trade what did he do to them that reflected his Purdey training? Or was it just marketing?

It was just marketing. Evan's training never went further than front of house, he was a salesman, nothing more.

CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ford was a gunmaker who explored more than just boring. Douglas Tate's book, Birmingham Gunmakers, mentions 4 patents for ejectors, for example.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wish I could add useful info as the previous replies have, but at least I can add photos of a spectacular Wm Ford 12 bore a friend hunts with:

Apologies for the obtrusive watermarks, but in my business image theft is rampant.

eeb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Outstanding!

Sidelock
Sidelock

very pretty gun

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.