March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KY Jon #588085 12/24/20 08:22 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've stuck with old Tri-Tronics stuff. I've found it to be very reliable, and I've picked up spare parts from people who've moved on to more modern systems. I live in grouse and woodcock country, which is also wolf country. The experts claim that a beeper works to deter wolves. The TT beepers are loud, which I like because I don't hear as well as I used to. I don't want my dog beyond beeper range in the woods. The transmitters are very simple and easy to use.

With a Lab, since you're going to want the dog to stay within gun range, I'd think just a very simple system with stimulation from barely a tickle to hot enough to deter chasing deer and other critters would do the job. And you don't need much range either.

KY Jon #588095 12/24/20 11:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had good luck with Sportdog products. I usually figure the range listed is half that in reality. The models I have used have a tone and enough power levels to get up to "fry". I consider it a great dog hearing aid. :-)

KY Jon #588132 12/24/20 11:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Garmin/Tritronics Pro 550 Plus. I love the GPS feature when grouse hunting. So many times the dog is out of sight I still know where he is. Not cheap, but trouble free and great range.

Jim

KY Jon #588133 12/24/20 11:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had several tritronics models and currently have a discontinued pro 200 as well as a Garmin Alpha 100 GPS collar with training stimulation, and a DT Systems 2420.

The tritonics/Garmin hardware is the finest execution of good designs.

The DT Systems 2420 is the best feature system (all their 2400 systems). No other system I'm aware of has as fine of incremental stimulation control. No other system allows you to have 2 separate buttons for any selected range of stimulation as well as a third button for "rise", for a runaway, which ramps up continuous stimulation from the lowest to the highest over a few seconds, or stops when you let up on the button. No twisting knobs where two hands are needed. Just instantly available control. But their execution is just OK. Still, I consider the DT Systems 2400 series the best for training, especially in the yard training. I use mine with a new dog then move them to tritronics or Garmin once they're fairly reliable. For training to be effective, the timing of the stimulation/correction needs to be within a couple seconds of the act the dog is being corrected for and needs to be able to stop the behavior or its meaningless. The 2400 series beats all the other collars in this regard.

Last edited by Chuck H; 12/25/20 12:32 AM.
KY Jon #588143 12/25/20 10:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I started out with Dogtra years ago but eventually went to a Garmin Alpha. Now I will not put a dog on the ground without a tracking collar. And I hunt flushers also Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. Tollers like to do things their own way and can be a handful, usually a lot more so than labs. But I like my dogs like my women, just a little bit naughty.

Worth every penny even for a another collar for a second dog

Just one time that the dog takes off chasing trash before being broke you will be glad that you did. I hunt the Mn. Arrowhead which has the highest density of wolves in CONUS but worry more about a logging truck coming along at the wrong time than a wolf. Although could do without the bastages in the woods.

Will also second Steve Snell and his wife at Gundog Supply. Not sure of your experience with ecollars but when you get your collar also get Basic Obedience Ecollar Training by Robin MacFarlane DVD that Steve did with Robin.

Highly recommend you get a collar with vibration. When your dog gets old enough that it can no longer hear you or a whistle you will be glad that you did. My dogs have been conditioned enough by vibration first before correction stim that I almost never have to use stim just vibration.

Another advantage of Garmin is the availability of the watches to visually see your dogs location without lifting the handheld to look at it.

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Anyone have a recommendation on a Ecollar? Just got a Lab of color who needs a bit of Ecollar training. Been a long couple weeks working with her but she needs one. As Woodrow said “I will not tolerate rude behavior”. In her case rude will most likely result in her death which I would truly regret.

Sounds like you may have a rescue? Been there and done that more than a few times. Wish you the best that is often a lot of work. On the other hand have a 15 week old pup now and swear it is my last puppy. But is a blank slate. Has been sitting on demand and delivering to hand since 9 weeks old.

If you have a pup highly recommend Bill Hilman method to begin with starting with training a retriever puppy

After that you can go several ways but this time will stay with Bill including hold instead of traditional Force Fetch.

But as it sounds like you already know it ALL starts with basic discipline. Sit means sit and stay until released none of this stay stay stay BS. And here means here now, not when you feel like it.

Good luck to you and the new member of the family!

KY Jon #588146 12/25/20 12:01 PM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been in the woods and had a hiccup or two with my Astro 320 which I bought from Steve Snell at Gundog Supply years ago. Operator error, not anything wrong with the unit. On the occasion it has happened, I've been able to get someone there on the phone to set me straight. Good folks to deal with for sure. As for the tracking collars, I have a bevy of DC40's, a DC50 and the latest iteration. I run two dogs, but turn on a spare collar which I hang from truck rear view mirror. While the handheld will give the truck location if you Start New Hunt and mark truck location, it's nice just to look at the watch for truck direction while in the woods. Gil

GLS #588147 12/25/20 12:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
While the handheld will give the truck location if you Start New Hunt and mark truck location, it's nice just to look at the watch for truck direction while in the woods. Gil

You can say that again. 12 years ago I was hunting a large area on the MN/IA border and my young Drahthaar and I got totally turned around in a white-out snow storm which turned into an ordeal that I never want to repeat. The one bright spot was I took my only MN hun which was probably as turned around as I was.

I have used a Garmin Alpha tracking unit & watch for the last several years and I always mark the truck. It's especially nice with pointers in heavy cover now that my ears no longer hear beepers reliably. That said, it's overkill for yard work and daily runs, so for that I use a regular e-collar.

KY Jon #588225 12/27/20 12:53 AM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Tollers like to do things their own way and can be a handful, usually a lot more so than labs."

That made me laugh. I understand about hard to train dogs. I use to run Chessies. Would never have thought about a electric collar unless you could have found a 220 volt version, 440 volt better yet. Well to be honest, e-colars had not been invented until the last Chessie I had. Chesapeakes train themselves as much as anything. Had one who use to bite your boots if you missed more than one bird. Brute was so tough he would bust or even bite ice to get to birds. You could not wear him out. The harder he worked the happier he was. I miss that old dog.

I am most interested in a vibration stimulus with GPS location. Most of the shock training I have seen is so poorly done, I vote for the trainer to wear the collar. Just like yelling is not a training technique, I do not think lighting a dog up as one. I want attention, not instant compliance. Give the dog time to figure out what I need by giving her a bit of extra reminder. After all, it is my job to teach her what I expect and to put her in the best position to achieve it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.